Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 156

Thread: An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

  1. #1
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,651
    Ae electric coffeepot- I don't drink coffee - from DH

  2. #2
    Moderator Up North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North East Lower peninsula of Michigan
    Posts
    6,502
    Musical Cocker Spaniels - Sorry not crazy about dogs:( Now Cats might have been a better choice. (By the way they are still out years later, it is a family joke now!!)

  3. #3
    Super Member 2 Doods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NW Oregon
    Posts
    1,816
    Fishig pole for Christmas, reel for birthday so he could "borrow" them. Told him he was going to look really "cute" in diamond earrings if he ever pulled that again :lol:

  4. #4
    Super Member beachlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    6,753
    My DH's mother got an air popcorn popper EVERY year from her husband (DH"S stepdad) - EVERY YEAR!!!

  5. #5
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    One year hubby got me one of those really expensive kitchen mixers -- couldn't wait to give it to me so HE opened the box and read all the instructions, etc. before I even knew he'd bought it. Very nice gesture but, hey, I don't cook or bake much -- it's now about 5 years old and is still unused......


  6. #6
    CRH
    CRH is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    406
    first year we were married, DH bought me a musical jewelry box, I thought he was soooooo romantic. Second year he bought me an iron --and I sat there and cried---wasn't so romantic!!! (45 years ago)

    Now -- I'd love a new iron. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,651
    Quote Originally Posted by CRH
    first year we were married, DH bought me a musical jewelry box, I thought he was soooooo romantic. Second year he bought me an iron --and I sat there and cried---wasn't so romantic!!! (45 years ago)

    Now -- I'd love a new iron. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Funny :? how our desires (and appreciation) for things change over the years

  8. #8
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I like buying for myself and buy what I want so a gift from DH is not anticipated as being something I've always wanted. I get a kick out of whatever he picks out for me. :D

  9. #9
    Super Member charismah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ephrata, WA
    Posts
    8,914
    Blog Entries
    29
    yeah...I don't get those BAD gifts because I Won't give DH the opportunity ...I already know he doesn't have a clue...when he does something on his own..he doesn't trust himself either so it is usually a gift certificate to one of my favorite stores... :D

  10. #10
    Super Member Mplsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Villages, FL
    Posts
    1,817
    Funny post! If I want something I get it and tell him it's from him. He does the same. Same account, anyway! We gave up putting that stress on each other 20 years ago. We rarely get presents for each other at Christmas, birthdays, etc. Too many kids, etc. We like to get things during the year, not when you're "supposed" to. Works for us!!

  11. #11
    Power Poster Mousie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    17,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
    Funny post! If I want something I get it and tell him it's from him. He does the same. Same account, anyway! We gave up putting that stress on each other 20 years ago. We rarely get presents for each other at Christmas, birthdays, etc. Too many kids, etc. We like to get things during the year, not when you're "supposed" to. Works for us!!
    this is how we do it, and guess what? We get exactly what we wanted in the right size and color...sometimes GREEN! :wink:

  12. #12
    Senior Member Rose Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    758
    My EX-MIL used to regift to me what I had given her the previous year. Right before my divorce I starting giving it back back her "re-gifts". I don't think she ever caught on!
    Rose Hall

  13. #13
    Super Member Mplsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Villages, FL
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
    Funny post! If I want something I get it and tell him it's from him. He does the same. Same account, anyway! We gave up putting that stress on each other 20 years ago. We rarely get presents for each other at Christmas, birthdays, etc. Too many kids, etc. We like to get things during the year, not when you're "supposed" to. Works for us!!
    this is how we do it, and guess what? We get exactly what we wanted in the right size and color...sometimes GREEN! :wink:
    Works great, huh? One year (when we had some money)I wanted a doll house ($300). DH said "Okay, but maybe you would want something a little bit more practical?" I said, "Well, maybe you're right. Let's go outside and sit in your $50,000 hotrod and talk about it." Guess what I got.

  14. #14
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    A case of oil, a flashlight, nightgowns big enough for three of me, and a baby stroller (no baby yet) all in the same year!!

  15. #15
    Super Member Mplsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Villages, FL
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    A case of oil, a flashlight, nightgowns big enough for three of me, and a baby stroller (no baby yet) all in the same year!!
    You're kidding!!!??? Are you still married? To him? Teehee

  16. #16
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    Yes 25 years now. I look into his heart and try to ignore what he says or does. Like when we were building a home and it came time to pick finishes for the kitchen. I asked him when he wanted to do that and he said "you do it hun since the kitchen is your place". My GF ducked and slithered out of the room. I just laughed cause I knew what he meant.

  17. #17
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,882
    My Mother in-law once gave me two bubble head poodle dogs with bright red lips and the following year she gave me a plate that had dogs and cats holding hands forming a circle around the plate. I "accidentally" dropped it.

  18. #18
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    I don't know if my MIL fits here but she gave me a grave site for a wedding gift.

  19. #19
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,050
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't know if my MIL fits here but she gave me a grave site for a wedding gift.
    Sounds like there's a message there. How did you handle it then and how do you get along with your MIL now?

  20. #20
    Super Member Elisabrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cody, Wyoming
    Posts
    6,396
    A dishwasher.. we needed a newer one but it was the birth of my second baby.. first baby? I got two dozen roses and a diamond necklace.. second baby? I got one rose and came home to a combo birthday/new baby gift of a .. dishwasher. After that year he NEVER gave me appliances again. Smart man. Granted I used the new one but we were going to get it anyways.. to toss it in like that.. bad bad plan.

  21. #21
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I don't know if my MIL fits here but she gave me a grave site for a wedding gift.
    Sounds like there's a message there. How did you handle it then and how do you get along with your MIL now?
    Well I was stunned when I got it and asked DH about it. He said it was a good sign cause she wanted nothing more then to put his first wife in it and she didn't give it to her. We didn't get along very well through our relationship and she died a few years ago.

  22. #22
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    A dishwasher.. we needed a newer one but it was the birth of my second baby.. first baby? I got two dozen roses and a diamond necklace.. second baby? I got one rose and came home to a combo birthday/new baby gift of a .. dishwasher. After that year he NEVER gave me appliances again. Smart man. Granted I used the new one but we were going to get it anyways.. to toss it in like that.. bad bad plan.
    I agree with you. Dh will try to "give me" things like tires for my car if I need them about the time of my BD or Christmas, but I veto that idea. I tell him if it were may 17th when I need tires he would get them and not make it a gift, so it shouldn't be just cause it is close to a significant date. But he still tries.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow, NY
    Posts
    4,780
    sexy lingerie.

    he'll never make that mistake again. i think i beat him up for about a year over that and whenever it creeps back into a conversation i kick him a few more times for good measure.

  24. #24
    Luv2Kreate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    League City, Texas (Houston Area)
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
    Funny post! If I want something I get it and tell him it's from him. He does the same. Same account, anyway! We gave up putting that stress on each other 20 years ago. We rarely get presents for each other at Christmas, birthdays, etc. Too many kids, etc. We like to get things during the year, not when you're "supposed" to. Works for us!!
    this is how we do it, and guess what? We get exactly what we wanted in the right size and color...sometimes GREEN! :wink:
    Works great, huh? One year (when we had some money)I wanted a doll house ($300). DH said "Okay, but maybe you would want something a little bit more practical?" I said, "Well, maybe you're right. Let's go outside and sit in your $50,000 hotrod and talk about it." Guess what I got.
    Had to laugh...that is pretty much how I got my new Bernina a month ago! LOL

  25. #25
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,323
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Ae electric coffeepot- I don't drink coffee - from DH
    I had to laugh at this one - I popped in to see this thread, then noticed the add at the bottom of the page:

    Water Urns Ireland
    Coffee Urns wide range form 44.95 buy online today

    They must pick up on the words in the first post LOL.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.