Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Some things our significant other does that we appreciate :-)

Power Poster

Some things our significant other does that we appreciate :-)

I thought it would be nice to have a thread about thoughtful things our significant others do for us -

He is a fanatic about keeping the toilet bowls clean!
    He will blow out the filters on the vacuum cleaners with his air compressor.
    He washes the windows.
    He (or our son) does all the barbecuing.
    He checks the air in the tires of our vehicles.

I also have a gripe list - but I'm saving that for another day!

just the tip of the mountain of things...
    When I had breast cancer surgery his sheer tenderness

I had lung cancer surgery this March, and I'm using the image of sunflowers to perk myself up and remind me just how lucky I am. I didn't know he was even aware of it...but when he came back from town a few weeks ago, he had a fist full of seed packets for every sunflower type in the world I think. He has planted them on the front edge of the garden, probably a 50 foot row. I am SO touched...

Bearisgray, those are all ways of saying I love you...far more expressive than flowers and candy. We just need to recognize those actions for what they are.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    His paycheck is direct deposited into our joint account and he NEVER asks me about where the money goes. That's trust.

My sweetie makes me breakfast and packs my lunch every day. He starts my car and carries my rolling bag out to the car. He asks for a to-do list each day and has been very busy getting things done that have been alluding him for a long time. He is home (retired) now and does his laundry and makes the bed every day. He makes sure the bathroom bowls are clean and takes out the garbage without me asking. He's a great guy!

Blog Entries
    Does the weekly grocery shopping
    Makes sure my car is in proper condition
    Never complains about how much I spend on quilting supplies
    Does his own laundry
    Surprises me from time to time with unexpected gifts
    When I worried that I was "turning into my mother" he said, "What's wrong with that?"

Power Poster
    ​Presents are nice but it is the everyday little considerate things they do that really count. I am so blessed!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

I had lung cancer surgery this March, and I'm using the image of sunflowers to perk myself up and remind me just how lucky I am. I didn't know he was even aware of it...but when he came back from town a few weeks ago, he had a fist full of seed packets for every sunflower type in the world I think. He has planted them on the front edge of the garden, probably a 50 foot row. I am SO touched....
    1) Hope you recover completely and quickly from your surgeries
    2) I love your sunflower story - sometimes they surprise us in a nice way.

Power Poster
    He only complains a little bit when I want to watch Entertainment Tonight instead of Wheel of Fortune.

Coffee in bed then gets his own bowl of cereal. About twice weekly I cook a large breakfast for us but he is in charge of the oven. He is my Chauffeur even though I have the Chauffeurs license. Loves to run errands, PO Bank, Dry cleaners, etc. but wants to share shopping for groceries. He keeps the check book balanced.I write all the checks with his direction then he files the receipts. Our dog sleeps between us and he loves it. Hugs It is true. Love is better the second time around............ More hugs

He does whatever I need done, especially in my sewing room.
    Gases up the truck and washes it occasionally.
    Never ask how much money I spend. or what I spend it on.
    Lots more I can't think of right now.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    He just follows through. If something needs to be done and I don't have time, he does it. We really work as a team. He keeps our vehicles maintained. He says to keep enough funds in the bank to pay bills and not to go crazy. He doesn't complain if dishes don't get done. It was harder on him when I found the lump in my breast last year than me. I had psyched myself up for it. I told him it was cancer before the doctors told me. I told him he would probably be at work when I found out and I was right. 30 minutes after I called him he came home for lunch with take out. He held me for the longest time. We just do for each other and it really doesn't matter what it is.

He has become the breakfast maker (& cleaner upper) at our house; I haven't emptied the dishwasher in well over 2 years; great at vehicle & yard maintenance; is my hiking, canoeing & fishing buddy; is an "enabler" when it comes to my fabric stash addiction; is my garden tiller-man; my go-to guy when I need a "male eye" on a "manly" quilt project (LOL)...and so much more. Aren't we just the lucky ones, ladies?
    Jo

Blog Entries
    He sings "You are my Sunshine" to me every night. Brings me coffee every morning (but says I am better at putting the peanut butter on his muffin). Worries if one of the cats stays out all night. Tell me every quilt is the best one yet. Lets me use his power tools, but leaves my scissors alone.
    May your blessings be many, your troubles few and your fabric stash endless!

He gives me my space and never asks how much I spend. (I'm my own self regulator!), does what I ask of him around the house. When we lived on a hill in Iowa he would go down to the mailbox every Sunday and get me my Sunday paper without being asked. Drives me where ever I want to go. Gets his own breakfast. There is much more but this is the start of so many things. I try to overlook the gripes. LOL!!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    I have been divorced 18 years, but I love reading all of your wonderful stories! It goes to show its not diamonds or other fancy things. Wonderful thoughtfulness and noticing little things are appreciated more. I am happy you have that in your lives. And I'm sure it works both ways.

Raine54rn

He always makes the coffee & sets the timer for the morning but he doesn't even drink coffee. He maintains my car, keeps it full of gas, cleaned. He is a fabric stash enabler. He makes me laugh. So many other things. I am truly blessed.

He supports our family allowing me to be a stay at home mom. I am forever grateful for the time I spend with my children and the chance to be the type of mom I always wanted to be. This is a priceless gift he has given to me.

On the lighter side, he is the pond guy. He does all the gardening, planting and pond maintenance. I just get to relax and enjoy it.

Wonderful idea for a thread, thanks.

Elise
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

I am touched , too. Definitely a keeper. Hope you are recovering well.
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

I had lung cancer surgery this March, and I'm using the image of sunflowers to perk myself up and remind me just how lucky I am. I didn't know he was even aware of it...but when he came back from town a few weeks ago, he had a fist full of seed packets for every sunflower type in the world I think. He has planted them on the front edge of the garden, probably a 50 foot row. I am SO touched...

Bearisgray, those are all ways of saying I love you...far more expressive than flowers and candy. We just need to recognize those actions for what they are.

This was a wonderful idea for a thread. My husband has been gone for over 16 years now and it was nice to think about the good things. You all are right, the little things are the most important. Early in my marriage he asked me "What are you going to do with all that fabric?" I replied,"Don't touch my fabric". All the times we moved (and there were several) he never complained about all those totes of fabric.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    He supports our family allowing me to be a stay at home mom. I am forever grateful for the time I spend with my children and the chance to be the type of mom I always wanted to be. This is a priceless gift he has given to me.

On the lighter side, he is the pond guy. He does all the gardening, planting and pond maintenance. I just get to relax and enjoy it.

Wonderful idea for a thread, thanks.

Elise
    Your pond is beautiful!

Power Poster
    I finally learned - after many years - that my DH equated having food prepared for him as being loved!
    He usually says "Thank you" when I fix something for him - even if it's something as simple as a cold sandwich - assuming, of course that I did so with good grace.

He's gotten so much more considerate about fending for himself when I am really busy with something.L

Gosh, where to start. Being a southern gentleman he treats me like a queen! He brings me coffee, waits on me hand and foot. He just bought a Dreamweaver XE, a high end combo machine, just because I deserve it, his words!! I moved in with my daughter for a while to help her while she is going through an ugly divorce. Her 5 yo son was abused. I'm providing the stability and emotional support for him while she's finishing her nurse practitioner degree. This was my husband's suggestion because the boy needs so much help. I consider him my rock. We have been married eight years and he has never let me down. I can always count on him for support and help.

He sings to me.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I am not able to say all that my hubby does for me because he is one considerate guy. This list would be a mile long! He says that I spoil him too but I think that is another super nice thing he does for me I think the key is we both use our best manners with each other and always try to think of how the other one feels. So many of our friends seem to take each other for granted- so sad.

Just one of the many things he does - in the winter when I need to go somewhere he will bring my vehicle close to the house (my garage is 300 feet away) so I don't have to walk on ice and snow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast