Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new significant other

My new significant other

Ok, I know that this has been discussed numerous times before but, I am a new convert to Elmer's!!! I have had several bottles staring at me for at least the last 6 months but I couldn't work up the nerve to give it a try. Made some placemats for a fundraiser and figured it's "now or never". WooHoo!!!! no more pins or smelly fumes for me, not to mention, a money saver! I applied a thin line all over the batting and then kind of spread it around with a damp sponge brush to smooth it out and applied the backing. Hit it with the iron and then turned it over and did the same for the top. WahhLa! firmly basted and ready for quilting. After I trimmed the excess batting and backing off I took a leftover piece and ran in under warm water in the sink and "low and behold" it washed out completely! I am more than happy!!

Power Poster
    Elmer's sales must be going through the roof. Let's hope they don't find out we are using it for quilting or the price will go up.

Blog Entries
    No school glue is used a great deal in school because it washes out of uniforms.i have always used in school and now for quilting, can't get away from an excellent product.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    what did we ever do before the glue?!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I do like using both the glue stick and the white glue, it is reasonable. I really do hope that they do not catch on to this new use and do a more expensive line because it is for a new craft to them. Great stuff for sure.

I just tried glue basting for the first time this weekend. I've started quilting and haven't found a pucker yet! It's nice not having to deal with stopping to take the pins out. And now is a good time stock up with the back-to-school sales going on.

I really like using elmers!!!

Well, school supplies are now going on sale. Time to stock up!

Found another use for the glue stick, am doing some redwork, but finding it difficult to thread the needle. I am using perle cotton 8. This is the first time I have used it that the thread keeps splitting, makes it frustrating to thread needle. I run my finger over the top of the glue stick and put it on thread end, then the needle goes through with no problem. Works for me!

Elmer's (washable) glue is just great in loading on the batting and then the quilt top onto the backing (after it is loaded conventionally on the frame). What a time saver, and it is more accurate, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Elmer's sales must be going through the roof. Let's hope they don't find out we are using it for quilting or the price will go up.
    you got that right!!!!!!

I too love Elmer's Glue and Glue sticks! I must admit that the glue stick seems to work better for me. I was @ Fabric Depot the other day and found a tiny bottle of Roxanne's glue baste it...I am curious to see how this works. Wondering if I could refill the Roxanne's with Elmer's as I love that tiny tip!! Anyone else do this??
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

I sew both quilts and clothing and I love using both the glue sticks and washable school glue. They keep applique where it's supposed to be and often eliminates the need for a walking foot.

Because this board is continually attracting new readers, let's all be sure to say "washable school" glue. Just saying "Elmer's" can be confused with other varieties of Elmer's glue that aren't washable.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Quote Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
    I too love Elmer's Glue and Glue sticks! I must admit that the glue stick seems to work better for me. I was @ Fabric Depot the other day and found a tiny bottle of Roxanne's glue baste it...I am curious to see how this works. Wondering if I could refill the Roxanne's with Elmer's as I love that tiny tip!! Anyone else do this??
    After I used a bottle of Roxanne's, I filled the bottle with Elmer's Washable School Glue. I have been refilling the bottle with Elmer's Washable School Glue ever since. I like the Roxanne's bottle when I use glue in appliqueing. Someone on the Board told me that both glues are made with the same formula. I buy my year's supply of Elmer's Washable School Glue this time of the year during Back to School sales.
    Last edited by franc36; 07-23-2013 at 05:29 PM.

I love Elmer's washable school glue. Just bought another 2 bottles on sale.

Blog Entries
    The purple daisies site has caps that fit on Elmer's glue bottles that make a thin line. They work great.

I refill the Roxanne bottle with Elmers when I need a really fine tip. However, I find the Elmer's School Glue Pens are usually fine enough for me.
    Pat

I've never tried using glue but want to, especially after reading this thread. Being fairly new to quilting, I have a question for y'all. Do you still have to have the backing piece pulled taut before applying the glue? I'm assuming yes. That's my biggest aggravation. I end up pinning the backing down on my carpeted seeing room. It's a pain, but I don't have any other place other than hardwood, but I can't risk getting basting spray on it. Is there an easy answer for at home basting?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by judylg View Post
    Found another use for the glue stick, am doing some redwork, but finding it difficult to thread the needle. I am using perle cotton 8. This is the first time I have used it that the thread keeps splitting, makes it frustrating to thread needle. I run my finger over the top of the glue stick and put it on thread end, then the needle goes through with no problem. Works for me!
    Thank You for the tip. I have the same problem with thread. Going to try this.

g
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I love Elmer's washable glue....go to JoAnns and buy the micro tip small bottle labeled for LA's in the quilting notions area. Inexpensive and works excellent. Takes less that 30 seconds to fill the little bottle from a big bottle and lasts a long time between refills!
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntSuSuSews View Post
    I've never tried using glue but want to, especially after reading this thread. Being fairly new to quilting, I have a question for y'all. Do you still have to have the backing piece pulled taut before applying the glue? I'm assuming yes. That's my biggest aggravation. I end up pinning the backing down on my carpeted seeing room. It's a pain, but I don't have any other place other than hardwood, but I can't risk getting basting spray on it. Is there an easy answer for at home basting?
    I would definitely spray baste or glue baste and do it on the hardwood floor. Just lay down either newsprint paper (unprinted) or similar such as packing paper or you can buy that also at a Menards/Home Depot/Lowes type store....lay it under the entire perimeter of quilt. I have never over sprayed beyond that. Also, you can re-use it as the tackiness dries.
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

I noticed that Target's Up and Up brand is on sale this week. Will store brands of washable glue work the same?

Kris P as long as it says Washable you should have no problem

Thanks, Cogito!

I love the Elmer glue method for adding the binding to my quilts. No more pin pricks. I was getting too much glue with the regular nozzle on the glue bottle so I purchased the small little tip. I wash it out after every use so its ready for the next time. I always wash my quilts before I give them to someone so it gets the glue out and if the fabric is going to bleed, I can take care of that item too. Love the color catchers too. They saved my mother's log cabin quilt I made her. Even after washing and drying it...........the next time we washed it, the bleeding came out. Someone here told me it wasn't a goner and I am so glad they told me as I thought it was a total loss.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast