Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other >

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I don't know if my MIL fits here but she gave me a grave site for a wedding gift.
Sounds like there's a message there. How did you handle it then and how do you get along with your MIL now?
Well I was stunned when I got it and asked DH about it. He said it was a good sign cause she wanted nothing more then to put his first wife in it and she didn't give it to her. We didn't get along very well through our relationship and she died a few years ago.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
A dishwasher.. we needed a newer one but it was the birth of my second baby.. first baby? I got two dozen roses and a diamond necklace.. second baby? I got one rose and came home to a combo birthday/new baby gift of a .. dishwasher. After that year he NEVER gave me appliances again. Smart man. Granted I used the new one but we were going to get it anyways.. to toss it in like that.. bad bad plan.
I agree with you. Dh will try to "give me" things like tires for my car if I need them about the time of my BD or Christmas, but I veto that idea. I tell him if it were may 17th when I need tires he would get them and not make it a gift, so it shouldn't be just cause it is close to a significant date. But he still tries.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Banned

sexy lingerie.

he'll never make that mistake again. i think i beat him up for about a year over that and whenever it creeps back into a conversation i kick him a few more times for good measure.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Funny post! If I want something I get it and tell him it's from him. He does the same. Same account, anyway! We gave up putting that stress on each other 20 years ago. We rarely get presents for each other at Christmas, birthdays, etc. Too many kids, etc. We like to get things during the year, not when you're "supposed" to. Works for us!!
this is how we do it, and guess what? We get exactly what we wanted in the right size and color...sometimes GREEN! :wink:
Works great, huh? One year (when we had some money)I wanted a doll house ($300). DH said "Okay, but maybe you would want something a little bit more practical?" I said, "Well, maybe you're right. Let's go outside and sit in your $50,000 hotrod and talk about it." Guess what I got.
Had to laugh...that is pretty much how I got my new Bernina a month ago! LOL
Old 11-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Ae electric coffeepot- I don't drink coffee - from DH
I had to laugh at this one - I popped in to see this thread, then noticed the add at the bottom of the page:

Water Urns Ireland
Coffee Urns wide range form €44.95 buy online today

They must pick up on the words in the first post LOL.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:08 PM

sexy lingerie
Yeah, a gift for himself for sure.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
sexy lingerie
Yeah, a gift for himself for sure.
absolutely! and did i mention i'm a hardcore feminist and he just objectified me.

i told him if he ever objectifies me again i'll kick him till he's unconscious.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:29 PM

A pan for Valentine's Day.

Yes we are still married. 34 years. He really did put a lot of thought into it because it was exactly what I wanted. Just not for Valentine's Day. Guess what he got the following year!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Flowers...because he either would forget to buy something, not want to take the time to think of something/go shopping, and to me that was very inconsiderate and I told him so!!! I told him the next time he did that, I would buy him a bouqet also, and return his other gift(s) :twisted: :wink:

An old boyfriend got the deer in the headlight look Christmas morning, as we were getting ready to open gifts, and said I will be right back!!! Now, we had been dating for almost a year...and he FORGOT???? He came back with this plastic volcano looking fountain thing with cheap animals painted on it...purchased at a convenience store :roll: I handed it back and said, "No Thank You" it meant nothing to him or ME and I handed it back to him.... :x He felt like crap when he opened my well thought out gifts and spent the next 6 months til my birthday trying to make up for it... :wink:
Old 11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Bouquet after bouquet of Carnations. (Not so fond of bouquets, let alone carnations.)
A wool sweater in grey. (I'm alergic to wool but I love the reason for the color: Because I didn't have anything in grey. Hm, I wonder why?)
When I was 16, I got a gynormous bottle of Chanel No.5
when I was 48 I got earrings that were suited for a 10-year old.
A skirt with ruffles on the hips. MY HIPS ALREADY HAVE RUFFLES! They don't need any more.
I finally put a stop to the madness. Like I told DH: "I know that I am an ungrateful b****. If I were you, I would simply accept that fact and move on."