Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other >

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Our first Christmas DH gave me a new watch band for a watch that didn't work. A clothes hamper for my first Mother's Day. The most frustating was a memebership to the YWCA With working full time and chauffering five children around I have no idea whern he thought I'd have time to go to the Y
Old 11-15-2010, 04:37 PM

My ex was engaged before me. I got the used engagement ring...with a promise to buy me a new upgraded one when that one was paid for. Once it was paid for he renigged on the promise...so for our 5th anniversary I told him either to buy me a new ring or I would and he definitely wouldn't like what I picked out cuz he'd be paying for a loooong time! He's someone elses problem now and my new hubby buys me wonderful items. He loves to buy me jewelry but realized I'd rather have quilting things so he just bought me a new Jewel...Babylock longarm Jewel that is! Gosh I love this man!

Diannia
Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 PM

All of the above posts made me not quite as angry and disappointed at some of the gifts I have gotten from my DH through the years. A few years of marriage he gave me a rod and reel--I hated to fish. Another year an expensive Stern life jacket that would have fit me and our two girls in it at the same time but it fit him perfectly! The worse one yet was 3 years ago--a mattress and box springs. That was just the worst ever because it was a very expensive one and I hated it before I even tried it. But then on our 40th anniversary he gave me a big surprise-a ruby and diamond ring absolutely beautiful and unexpected. So I guess the few horrible gifts are in the minority since one year it was an embroidery machine and Horne cabinet for my sewing room and another year a serger and another Horne cabinet. He is a keeper but some of his gifts are not! HA!
My Dad was really bad with some of the gifts he got my Mom also One year it was an oven timer and a head scarf! As an adult I did his shopping for Mom every year. This will be the first Christmas without my parents so I look back even on his awful gifts with a grin and a fond memory. Sue
Old 11-15-2010, 06:16 PM

We do the same thing. Married for 52 years now. The best present he ever gave me was a diamond tennis bracelet that was a total surprise.
Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Funny post! If I want something I get it and tell him it's from him. He does the same. Same account, anyway! We gave up putting that stress on each other 20 years ago. We rarely get presents for each other at Christmas, birthdays, etc. Too many kids, etc. We like to get things during the year, not when you're "supposed" to. Works for us!!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:49 PM

my daughter was dating a guy and he gave her a workout video!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 PM

For our first Christmas, DH gave me a forest-green sweatshirt with a huge whale prominently displayed across the chest. Being a "woman of substance" I certainly didn't need the reminder! And he couldn't understand why I wanted him to return it - after all, it fit very well.

Now I write down exact descriptions, places, etc.. I even have some sales people primed for when he comes into the store. sometimes even that doesn't work.

Last year I told him that I wanted a certain spatula as one of my stocking stuffers. I wrote down the store, and the directions " Enter store, look to your right. There is a display of kitchen utensils. The one I want is the first one in the second row." Did I get that one??? Noooooo. I got another one that he thought I would like better.

However, reading some of these posts makes me realize that he isn't so bad after all.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Some of these are really winners...
I can't for the life of my remember what he did to tick me off so bad a week before Christmas one year, but...I remember I was crying a lot and the next day I took the stack of presents that I had bought for him and unwrapped them and took them back to the stores. I then went shopping for me. I got some really, really nice clothes that I wouldn't have bought for myself because they were a bit pricey, and I got a beautiful sapphire ring. On Christmas morning, I had a stack of boxes and he had 2 small boxes from the boys and a wrapped 24 pack of Pepsi from me. I opened my packages and kept telling him that he bought me something sooooo nice and that I just loved it. Even got up and kissed him for picking out the best presents...
Yes, this was nasty, but...
Lets just say that Christmas is not a quick trip to the drug store on the night before anymore.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 PM

One year for Christmas I wanted a suede jacket with a little fake fur collar. Told him where to get it, size, price (99 bucks), color.

It was the year the Bulls were "three-peating" and all he could do was watch that stupid TV while I shopped for 20 people on his side of the family.

I asked for that jacket every week and even offered to go buy it myself.

Come Christmas eve, he went to 9 shopping malls, took all day and there were no jackets to be found in my size. I got NOTHING while he and his family were opening very nice, well thought out and appropriate gifts. That was the LAST Christmas I shopped for his family.

Months later I was walking through the mall and saw a leather coat with a REAL fur collar. Walked in, bought it, paid for it with an account that was his golfing money....needless to say it didnt cost 99 bucks (although the price did end with 99) and he did not golf much that year.

A grave just cracks me up. I thought my MIL was bad. My MIL gives me all kinds of useless stuff. For years at Christmas she used to give me ONE towel. Not a set of towels, just one. A green one this year, a blue one next, then a brown one. I did not get it. And they wonder why I hate having Christmas with these people!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 PM

DH usually doesn't trust himself to pick out presents for me. However, once when we were still dating, I asked him to buy me a cheap watch I could wear to work as a nurse's aide. I really needed one and thought it would be nice to think of him whenever I checked the time. That was the one time he went above and beyond the call of duty. It was a gorgeous gold watch with crystals around it that lots of people think are diamonds. As much as I loved it, I wasn't able to wear it to work to get dirty and beat up. This was the best worst present I ever got.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:17 AM

My DH is a tech type, addicted to his computer and his many TV-related electronic devices. He always gets me some sort of gadget, electronic gizmo or latest Apple product. Even though I am an old school QUILTER type who would be happy with tin cans and a string as a communication device. I and my daughters have given him specific instructions that a gift for me must not have a plug, but he can't help himself. So I'm changing tactics and angling for a new, good sewing machine. Something with a plug that will make me happy!