Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other >

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

My husband bought me a shotgun for my birthday. He loved to hunt and thought he would get to use it. No such luck. I told him I wanted to keep it nice and pretty and new. It still has never been used. I have often wondered why he would give me a shotgun it he knew it would make me mad. Silly guy. :D
Old 11-23-2009, 08:25 PM

One year, on my birthday, my husband got up and said he was not going in to his office that day. I'm thinking, "great! He is going to spend it with me". Later in the morning, he left and was gone a couple of hours. When he got home, he casually mentioned that he had bought a new big round hay baler (traded the old one in) and it would be delivered later in the afternoon. Still no mention of my b'day. Well, my son and he were drooling over it and, of course, they just happened to have hay that they could bale to try it out later that afternoon. I reminded my hubby that it was 4H fashion revue and both our girls were involved in it. He assured me that he would be there on time...NOT...he made it there at the end when the awards were being given out. To wrap up this very long story...on the way home, my daughter who was riding with him, asked him if he remembered it was mommy's birthday. Shocked him...they stopped and brought me an ice cream sundae from McDonald's. This happened about 15 years ago...I was pretty ticked at the time...now I just laugh about it.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

Where to start.... LOL... my ex was horrible and so was his mother ... One year I cut pictures out and handed them to him and told him "DO NOT listen to your mother or deviate" well guess what.. yep she talked him into getting other items .. I wanted a gold tone cross pen.. got a cheap silver thing.. wanted a certain pattern for dishes.. she picked one she liked better...wanted a certain cologne.. she said that wasn't a good one and I ended up with her favorite scent :shock:
Lost the pen, the ex and his mother, still have the stupid dishes with the wrong pattern :roll:
Old 11-23-2009, 09:55 PM

Your stories have kept me laughing but I think I laughed the hardest about the MIL buying a grave site for a wedding present!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 PM

These are great!! Just think how many fewer laughs we would have if all those thoughtless/annoying gifts had not been given! I'm now glad you received them :D :D :D

(but am sorry about your feelings)

My DH isn't much of a gift-giver. Usually he just doesn't give anything which is fine, because I've received a toilet, a gun and a tackle box full of ice-fishing gear. Really, I would just as soon he doesn't try.

(in all fairness, I have to qualify the tackle box, as it also contained a diamond necklace and was the camouflage)

Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 PM

Guess I'm lucky....The one time that I ever asked for anything was christmas time around our 23rd anniversary. (I never wanted a diamond and only had a really cheap, plain ring. It was what I wanted). Our son asked me what I wanted and I replied that I only wanted my birthstone. Our son asked what that is and my hubby replied to him that it would have to be in a ring. Guess what...I got my first diamond ring that year. My cheap plain ring? was turned into a necklace with his and a diamond placed into that too. :D so I guess I am lucky...he's never bought anything annoying or unuseful for me.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
My husband bought me a shotgun for my birthday. He loved to hunt and thought he would get to use it. No such luck. I told him I wanted to keep it nice and pretty and new. It still has never been used. I have often wondered why he would give me a shotgun it he knew it would make me mad. Silly guy. :D
Hahahahahaha. Great move keeping it new and shiny so he can't play with it. And he's lucky that you didn't decide to use it, hehehehe
Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 PM

My big thing is that every year I like getting an ornament for my tree from the boyfriend (and finally have a boyfriend who has 2 ornaments on the tree, lol), and I HATE glitter. First thing I tell a new boyfriend is no glitter. Whatever it is, if it has glitter, I won't like it. So, this one now-ex gets me this awful gawdy ornament. Bright gold and red and purple and just like hit-you-in-the-face brightly awful (and I use really bright fabrics, which look dull compared to this ornament). And it's covered in glitter. Gets all over everything. I put it right back into the box and refused to put it on the tree... not sure why that relationship didn't work out... :?

I am a firm believer of the not being subtle approach. I tell current DB (dear boyfriend :-D) what I want... repeatedly. Last year, I said I wanted new fabric scissors since I kept misplacing mine. Sure enough, under the tree. This year, I told him I want a new fabric scissors since I keep misplacing my 2 :oops: , and it'll be under the tree. And I will probably get a few more as the years go on, until I can't possibly lose all of them! I think providing a list of good options, and listening to your partner/family's list of good options, just make sense, even if you do lose some of the surprise
Old 11-23-2009, 11:17 PM

One year I got office supplies. Need I say more????
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 AM

A roto tiller for Mother's Day :?: