Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other >

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Originally Posted by Mplsgirl
Funny post! If I want something I get it and tell him it's from him. He does the same. Same account, anyway! We gave up putting that stress on each other 20 years ago. We rarely get presents for each other at Christmas, birthdays, etc. Too many kids, etc. We like to get things during the year, not when you're "supposed" to. Works for us!!
this is how we do it, and guess what? We get exactly what we wanted in the right size and color...sometimes GREEN! :wink:
Works great, huh? One year (when we had some money)I wanted a doll house ($300). DH said "Okay, but maybe you would want something a little bit more practical?" I said, "Well, maybe you're right. Let's go outside and sit in your $50,000 hotrod and talk about it." Guess what I got.
oooh, I love the way you think! AND, I have wanted a dollhouse my entire life. I don't have to wait till hubs gets that hotrod do I? :wink:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwhite
Yes 25 years now. I look into his heart and try to ignore what he says or does. Like when we were building a home and it came time to pick finishes for the kitchen. I asked him when he wanted to do that and he said "you do it hun since the kitchen is your place". My GF ducked and slithered out of the room. I just laughed cause I knew what he meant.
trust me, I have to do this too. I have a DH that when it comes to women, he has no clue,...and then once in a while - he does,...just in the nick of time too :? - :mrgreen:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
A dishwasher.. we needed a newer one but it was the birth of my second baby.. first baby? I got two dozen roses and a diamond necklace.. second baby? I got one rose and came home to a combo birthday/new baby gift of a .. dishwasher. After that year he NEVER gave me appliances again. Smart man. Granted I used the new one but we were going to get it anyways.. to toss it in like that.. bad bad plan.
ohhh, after a dozen roses and a diamond necklace, don't give a pudgy, hormonal woman, a household appliance! boo! lol! he was thinking of himself...I'm 3rd now,...I may never eat again!
I would have handed him the instruction manual and said, "Here, honey. You better learn how to use this :wink: "
What say, we all load up on a bus and take that trip to Mars and find out what makes them all tick?....nah, toooo much work, let's go fabric shopping! :mrgreen:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carrieg
I always start about 2-3 weeks before my birthday/anniversary/christmas and tell DH 'don't forget to buy your wife a card'! :lol: Call me selfish, but I figure the effort of going to the store, picking out a card and paying for it is part of the gift. Lately, neither of us need anything that we can't buy during the year, so the card is the gift.

He's pretty good when he buys me something. Although I did make him take back to KMart the diamond earrings he bought there....
DH grew up so poor that buying a card to him, is such a luxury/waste, that when I occasionally get one, I keep it on display for at least ten days!
Most of the time we joke and say, "Let's go to the cards,
(whoever's bd or 'occasion' it is)...
and pick out a nice expensive card for you, read it, and put it back!"
Actually, I am the one that started this, as a joke, and we do it often.
Just to let you know, - every card he has ever gotten from me or the kids, or grandbabies...this, I-don't-have-a-clue man, insists that I, keep them all in a shoebox! :D
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 AM

Funny post!

No complaints here - DH lets me spend $ on my quilting supplies and fabric all year long, who could ask for more? He mostly gets me jewelry for Christmas.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
My family knows I do not like cards. For one thing I think it's very foolish to spend $6 or higher for a fancy card and then what am I suppose to do with the card? Keep it forever? I saved some of the cards my kids made me when they were small, now those are priceless and the only cards worth getting. :D
hmm, Bellaboo, you should see the reply I just submitted! um, what year were you born? 1950-ish? lol! :wink: (I understand).
Old 11-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by jljack
I guess I'm lucky....my DH gets a catalog, leaves it for me to go through and pick out what I like, then he orders it. Works pretty good!!
That reminds me of an interesting conversation with DH. I wanted to know where our tastes went wonky and gave him a Spiegel catalog. I asked him to point out some items that he thought I might like. He flipped through the pages frontward and backward and frontward again. Then he said: I can't imagine that you would like ANYTHING out of THAT catalog. The fact that assorted pages were marked with big red circles and arrows had totally slipped by him.

So I gave him a JC Penny catalog and asked him to find something in there. I swear, he picked every ruffled skirt in the damn book. It was a funny and very revealing exercise.
Mad, does your hubby like a woman with a little meat on her bones?
Maybe you SHOULD send him this way, LOL!
I once put on a cute jumper, but it was pink and black plaid...hubby doesn't like pink on anything...calmly said, "Are you going to wear that? It makes you look like a cow!"
He was absolutely serious that he thought he was helping me!
After that, every time I wanted to wear it, I would say, "Think I'll dress up as a cow today!" mo - uh, booo!!!! :?
(I dont need THAT kind of help!)
Old 11-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pzazz
My current DH has always been very thoughtful with his gift giving. And flowers? whenever...for no apparent reason other than he loves me.

Now the ex is another story. He gave me some good boner gifts, but I think the worst one was the year that I was about 7 months pregnant, we were spending the holidays with my folks, and there was NOTHING under the tree for me on C'mas morning!!!! In Canada, the 26Th is like Black Friday in the US, so after nothing on the 25th, he and my cousin's hubby went shopping on the 26th for super sales. When he came back several hours later, with my gift, he didn't even bring it up from the parking garage...I had to go down to get it....a rice cooker that HE wanted. LOL Just another example of why he is now the ex. :D
oh my goodnes, Pzazz...you need to go fabric shopping just to ease MY pain of reading this, lol!
I try very hard to understand where another person is coming from...but nothing, and at inlaws...and then late with a rice cooker?
bonehead, bonehead, bonehead,
I'm surprised he weren't dead... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Where to start.... LOL... my ex was horrible and so was his mother ... One year I cut pictures out and handed them to him and told him "DO NOT listen to your mother or deviate" well guess what.. yep she talked him into getting other items .. I wanted a gold tone cross pen.. got a cheap silver thing.. wanted a certain pattern for dishes.. she picked one she liked better...wanted a certain cologne.. she said that wasn't a good one and I ended up with her favorite scent :shock:
Lost the pen, the ex and his mother, still have the stupid dishes with the wrong pattern :roll:
This one took me right back to my ex MIL. After cooking with a mish mash of cheap pots for too many years, I finally bought myself a really nice set of 5 ply stainless pots. My MIL had some pyrex cookwear that she LOVED. She told me she wanted to get some for me...I politely said thanks, but no thanks as I have all the pots I need. Yup...you guessed it....C'mas morning...there were the pyrex pots. I returned them. Oh..and rice cooker from my earlier post? Sold it at a garage sale. :-)
Old 11-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janstar
Your stories have kept me laughing but I think I laughed the hardest about the MIL buying a grave site for a wedding present!
I had to read that one twice!!!
(let me preface with, me and hubby always pick out our own gifts and have for years out of history of little money and we were in agreement that having something we wanted was the point.)
ok, so hubby and I stop at the convenience store and when we get to counter, he's chatting with the cashier...he knows them all, lol...and I am standing right there,...
he says, "betty was here yesterday and asked me, what I was getting my wife for her birthday?"
I told her nothing! She didn't use what I got her last year.
Cashier: "what did you get her last year?" (I knew this joke :wink: )
DH: "I got her a burial plot."
ME: :twisted: "That's alright honey, you get me that plot, bc I will be using it, this year!"...we all knew I meant for HIM...and busted out laughing! :lol: