Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other >

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

An annoying/thoughtless gift you've received from a significant other

Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM

I got a diet scale once from DH. Yes I needed it. No I didn't appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Power Poster

One year I got a card with $80 from DH for my BD. I was SHOCKED. Money???? and that is exactly how I reacted: "You gave me money? YOU gave me Money? You gave ME MONEY????? LIsten Mister, if you EVER have a reason to give me MONEY, it will be for services rendered AND I ASSURE YOU - $80 is NOT enough!" I was spitting mad.

He told a female friend that he was in the dog house and why. Her reaction was pretty much like mine. She asked him what he was thinking. Apparently he had wanted to get me a purse but was shy about getting the wrong style. She asked him why he didn't get a gift certificate? Answer: "Gift Certificates are so IMPERSONAL" I suppose money is more personal because.....it has the picture of an old guy on it?

DUH! poor Pat - so much to learn in a relationship. lol
Old 11-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I kind of like the idea of money with a note attached to it - I was wanting to get you a nice black handbag - but I haven't the slightest idea of where you prefer to shop, etc. etc.

I like getting money. Maybe because we've had so little of it.

But it's nice if there is a "I thought you'd like a . . .. " note with it.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I kind of like the idea of money with a note attached to it -
That would have made sense. I totally agree. Like I said - poor Pat. (maybe my Mom was right all along when she referred to him as "that poor boy" - as in married to my hellion of a daughter. :twisted: )
Old 11-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Oh :lol: :lol: some of these are hysterical :lol: :lol:
Old 11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Last year for my BD, hubby bought me a card (that was it -- no dinner out, no present, he didn't even say "Happy Birthday" -- but left the card on the kitchen table where I found it the NEXT morning.) It didn't have a name on the envelope and it wasn't signed. I asked him if the card was for me and he said, "yes". I then asked him why he didn't sign it, and he said, "Cause then I can use it next year."
Ok, joyce, if my hubby did that...I would definitely use that burial plot he planned to give me :shock: :!:
Old 11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Have to say that Pat finds the funniest and sweetest cards - particularly for our anniversary.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 PM
k3n
Power Poster

I'm with amma - laughing my head off reading these!

We buy our own gifts to each other so no funnies to share! This year, I'm getting a jumbo size cutting mat and a new 2' ruler AT LEAST! :D

Hans has a new guitar which he's already playing! Seemed silly to make him wait since he picked it out.

On an English TV programme, a guy bought his GF a deep fat fryer for her birthday, next scene, she's battering and frying the remote to his TV! :mrgreen:
Old 11-24-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Last year for my BD, hubby bought me a card (that was it -- no dinner out, no present, he didn't even say "Happy Birthday" -- but left the card on the kitchen table where I found it the NEXT morning.) It didn't have a name on the envelope and it wasn't signed. I asked him if the card was for me and he said, "yes". I then asked him why he didn't sign it, and he said, "Cause then I can use it next year."
Ok, joyce, if my hubby did that...I would definitely use that burial plot he planned to give me :shock: :!:

Well, let's just say that I've given up. As long as I don't expect anything from him, then I won't be disappointed -- right? Anyway, on our anniversary in Nov., I got him the same thing he got me -- nuttin' :twisted:

Old 11-24-2009, 03:12 PM

Ah, it's good to know we've got company, isn't it? Who likes to be the only one getting gifts that were not our taste?

DH will repeatedly ask what I want. I will tell him. Specifically, and tell him if he's not getting that, nothing is okay. He will get something similar, but not what I asked for. Been happening for years. When we were first married, money was very tight. I showed him socks I loved. Yes, I got socks, no, not the ones I liked or even the same style.

Twice I've gotten tv's I didn't ask for, didn't want (one for bedroom here, one for bedroom in FL). I don't like tv's in the bedroom, but he does. Now I can go to sleep to the sounds of annoying football/baseball/basketball games.

I asked for a camera, said I wanted one that was small and simple. Got a big one w/ all kinds of stuff on it that makes it hard to use. However, he likes it...

My favorite, though, that he still doesn't understand my displeasure over... For our 25th anniversary, he arranged a surprise vow renewal & party and a cruise to the western Carribean. Everyone thought he was SOOOO amazing.

A couple of little glitches: He knew that I hate vow renewals, and can't take heat. The cruise was in AUGUST. No air conditioning at the church where vow renewal/party was. Cruise hotter than heck. I had to pay for excursions - nothing I wanted to do would he do. He wanted to go to the Myan ruins, which was a whole day trip. Do you know why they are called ruins? Because they are RUINED!! It was about 100 degrees and miserable. That was a lot of money down the drain. The best thing is it's over!

The last couple of years, I've said, "let's not do gifts." After 30+ years, it's the best way to go for us.