Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Another name for Grandma? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/another-name-grandma-t119598.html)

Mamagus 04-29-2011 03:45 AM

My husband's son and his girlfriend are soon going to be parents.
From that first line can you tell I don't really have a role in this? I want to be a grandma to this child and have made the quilt, ordered the crib, bought oodles of clothing for her... They live over halfway accross the country, so I won't get to see her very much.

Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".

Is there another name besides Nan or Grandma that I could sign the quilt with? Something that everyone can live with?

Incidentally I do have a good relationship with Matt. He calls here and we chat for several minutes before he asks for his dad. I figure that's pretty good for someone I first met when he was 18 years old...

Moonglow 04-29-2011 03:46 AM

Grammy?

dakotamaid 04-29-2011 03:52 AM

Nana? My grand nieces and nephews call me Mamma Dawne!

jbud2 04-29-2011 03:53 AM

My granddaughter decided what to call me. I always referred to myself as Grandma. She called me Grammy. Then it was Grams and yesterday she was calling me Gramsy. As long as she says 'I love you' - I don't care what she calls me!!

emerald46 04-29-2011 03:58 AM

My dearest older grandmotherly friend was always called "Hon" by her children, grandchildren and other relatives/friends. My granddogs just bark and wag their tails when I come it...lol

Jeanniejo 04-29-2011 03:58 AM

My husbands son and daughter-in-law's children call my DH Grandpa Ben. They were told by our sweet DIL that I was NOT their grandmother and to call me by my first name. Thank God I am getting my OWN first grandchild in May and will finally called grandma!!

Tink's Mom 04-29-2011 04:04 AM

There are so many different names for Gramma...I prefer Nana myself. You could go with different origins, such as Oma, Nonny, Bubbe, Mimi, MorMor, GiGi, Mamoo, and my son's version GamMoo...

AlwaysQuilting 04-29-2011 04:06 AM

I'm Grandma, (or Maama, as my 2yr old DGS calls me), my son-in-law's stepmother (who raised him since he was 5) is Nana, and his biological mother is YaYa (she's Greek and that's what they say).
My brother's grandkids call him Bop and my sister-in-law is MiMi.

Are you Irish? German? French? etc. Maybe you could use their version of Grandma.
Congratulations BTW and the kids will love you no matter what they call you if you treat them as a Grandma does.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 04-29-2011 04:11 AM

My mom is Mamaw. My dad is Bob. Dad didn't want to be called Grandpa or Papaw.

A friend of mine in your position ended up being Kathy-Gram.

Country1 04-29-2011 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
My husband's son and his girlfriend are soon going to be parents.
From that first line can you tell I don't really have a role in this? I want to be a grandma to this child and have made the quilt, ordered the crib, bought oodles of clothing for her... They live over halfway accross the country, so I won't get to see her very much.

Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".

Is there another name besides Nan or Grandma that I could sign the quilt with? Something that everyone can live with?

Incidentally I do have a good relationship with Matt. He calls here and we chat for several minutes before he asks for his dad. I figure that's pretty good for someone I first met when he was 18 years old...

I'm MeMaw