Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another name for Grandma?

My husband's son and his girlfriend are soon going to be parents.
    From that first line can you tell I don't really have a role in this? I want to be a grandma to this child and have made the quilt, ordered the crib, bought oodles of clothing for her... They live over halfway accross the country, so I won't get to see her very much.

Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".

Is there another name besides Nan or Grandma that I could sign the quilt with? Something that everyone can live with?

Incidentally I do have a good relationship with Matt. He calls here and we chat for several minutes before he asks for his dad. I figure that's pretty good for someone I first met when he was 18 years old...

Grammy?

Nana? My grand nieces and nephews call me Mamma Dawne!

My granddaughter decided what to call me. I always referred to myself as Grandma. She called me Grammy. Then it was Grams and yesterday she was calling me Gramsy. As long as she says 'I love you' - I don't care what she calls me!!

My dearest older grandmotherly friend was always called "Hon" by her children, grandchildren and other relatives/friends. My granddogs just bark and wag their tails when I come it...lol

My husbands son and daughter-in-law's children call my DH Grandpa Ben. They were told by our sweet DIL that I was NOT their grandmother and to call me by my first name. Thank God I am getting my OWN first grandchild in May and will finally called grandma!!

There are so many different names for Gramma...I prefer Nana myself. You could go with different origins, such as Oma, Nonny, Bubbe, Mimi, MorMor, GiGi, Mamoo, and my son's version GamMoo...

Blog Entries
    I'm Grandma, (or Maama, as my 2yr old DGS calls me), my son-in-law's stepmother (who raised him since he was 5) is Nana, and his biological mother is YaYa (she's Greek and that's what they say).
    My brother's grandkids call him Bop and my sister-in-law is MiMi.

Are you Irish? German? French? etc. Maybe you could use their version of Grandma.
    Congratulations BTW and the kids will love you no matter what they call you if you treat them as a Grandma does.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My mom is Mamaw. My dad is Bob. Dad didn't want to be called Grandpa or Papaw.

A friend of mine in your position ended up being Kathy-Gram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    My husband's son and his girlfriend are soon going to be parents.
    From that first line can you tell I don't really have a role in this? I want to be a grandma to this child and have made the quilt, ordered the crib, bought oodles of clothing for her... They live over halfway accross the country, so I won't get to see her very much.

Matt has already told his dad that his Mom's new husband will NOT be "Poppy-Kevin". So that leaves me wondering if that was a hint... I will not be "Nanny Lori".

Is there another name besides Nan or Grandma that I could sign the quilt with? Something that everyone can live with?

Incidentally I do have a good relationship with Matt. He calls here and we chat for several minutes before he asks for his dad. I figure that's pretty good for someone I first met when he was 18 years old...

I'm MeMaw

My mother was Gramma Ginny (her name was virginia, or Ginny) to the kids in our extended family and I'm talking my first cousin's ex-wife's little brother's kids!

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Gi-Gi. That is what I am called because I am a grandmother way too soon.

dd
    When my grandson was born we had a terrible time trying to decide what we would be called. My husband was easy everyone started calling him pappy. Everything I wanted to be called and had thought about for years my SIL's family had taken, both Granny and Mom-mom. So I went with Grandmom after my grandmother. Then my grown son started calling me Gam-Gam. OK, whatever. Then it was changed to Gammy. Like jbud2 said, "As long as she says 'I love you' - I don't care what she calls me!!" Now that he is actually talking he just started calling me dd and it stuck ~ hence the screen name.

My friend at work goes by G-ma or just G. I liked that too. For some reason her g-daughter also calls her monkey.lol We haven't figured that one out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
    My husbands son and daughter-in-law's children call my DH Grandpa Ben. They were told by our sweet DIL that I was NOT their grandmother and to call me by my first name. Thank God I am getting my OWN first grandchild in May and will finally called grandma!!
    You see that's what I want to avoid. My kids adore my husband and since their own dad died, I have no doubt that should they have children, DH will be Poppy-Paul.

I figure if I give myself a name that isn't too "grandmotherly" like gramma or nana I might be OK. This little girl will have 6 grandparents and a great grandfather and great grandmother and a step-great grandfather. She won't miss out on much but I sure will.

When I married my PW she told me of her three boys, i told her of my 2 girls and 1 boy. they are all married now with Children of there own. and i am gramps or grandpa. Now my DW is called gramma or granny. Now wehn i sigh a quilt over to them i sigh it with My name

Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    You see that's what I want to avoid. My kids adore my husband and since their own dad died, I have no doubt that should they have children, DH will be Poppy-Paul.

I figure if I give myself a name that isn't too "grandmotherly" like gramma or nana I might be OK. This little girl will have 6 grandparents and a great grandfather and great grandmother and a step-great grandfather. She won't miss out on much but I sure will.
    Ask Matt. I too, have mixed family. I detest the grandma Sharon---I am Grandma (last name).... I never called my elders in the family by their title and first name,,,, respect. We let the oldest grandson pick our names. He had a hard time calling my husband Grandpa--he called him Grandma :) and DH kept saying 'No, Grand PA!' so his name is Pa. So we are Pa and Grandma (last name), the other grands are by their first name....

Mine are all steps and I took the name Granny D with the 1st one. I was the youngest of her 3 grandmothers. So she has me, Grandma (paternal) and River Grandma(maternal).

either ask matt or wait and see how they refer to you. Since you have a good relationship he will probably refer to you in an affectionate way.

IMO I don't understand people getting their panties in a twist about a child calling someone"grandma".(I understand resentments/anger due to divorice/abuse play into it) I'm refering just to general circumstances. as long as they are loving, can a child have too many?? My kids refered to their GPs as grandma A or grandpa B when they were talking about them but when they were with them it was just Grandma. My DIL comes from a large blended family and refers to all (8 or 9) grandparents as grandma/grandpa.

Oma = German for Grandmother, or Ya-ya, Greek for grandmother.

My Mom was called Grammy by my kids.

My "grands" call me 'Oma' and I love the name. It suits me!

Whatever name this little one calls you, it will be filled with love!

My step daughters kids also call me Oma. Love them all!

I've always been Nana, my mother was Grammy. Our daughter had an "adopted" Grandmother who was Grandma Ruth. Maybe you and they would be comfortable with your grandmotherly name and your given name.

I have to say.. this hit a spot with me. We have been in this situation before (twice now). My DH father passed on when my DH was 14. So I never knew his real dad. When I joined the family his mom was remarried for 3 years prior to. My DH called his step dad by his first name. When we decided to start our own family. I told my husband I thought it was best our kids call him grandpa. He has since passed on (he was the best step dad a person could ask for). My MIL has remarried again (yes 3rd time) and now my kids call him Coleman and their kids call him gramps Coleman. They save the papa for their actual grandparents.
    Now my GF's parents split 9 months after she married. Both her parents have since remarried, so these kids have 3 sets of grandparents, and how they handled it was, they say gram Nancy, gram Sue and Gram Betty. The guys are all called papa Dan, papa Bob and papa Earl. So why can't they call you nana then your first name?

Blog Entries
    I'm known as Nana, I don't like being called grandma. But I'm also the tickle monster! LOL

Sorry that your DIL did that to you and to her own child. She hasn't learned that a child can never have too many people to love him or her.

It may be hard for you to do, but once your own grandchild comes along, try to treat the DILs children as well as your 'own' grand. Their Mom made the mean decision to marginalize you in their lives, not the kids.

As you can see every one calls me Gramie they add BJ when talking in a group to help keep all there grand parents seperate some of the others are Nanna Nancy, Grama Elda, ect. Why not ask your son what they would like there child to caa you? What ever it is the child will love you and your quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Lv2sew2011
    I'm known as Nana, I don't like being called grandma. But I'm also the tickle monster! LOL
    I'm the "Tickle Lord"!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast