Another name for Grandma?

Old 08-20-2011, 06:48 PM

Well, I see you chose the name I was going to suggest!! :mrgreen:

I am about to become a step-grandparent in October, but I refer to it as a BONUS grandparent, and I have chosen Gigi as my name, because it isn't Grandma and stays off of people's toes, because I am "FAR" too young to be a Grammy, and because my last name is Green, so, Grandma Green, GG, ---Gigi :thumbup:
Old 08-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Well, I see you chose the name I was going to suggest!! :mrgreen:

I am about to become a step-grandparent in October, but I refer to it as a BONUS grandparent, and I have chosen Gigi as my name, because it isn't Grandma and stays off of people's toes, because I am "FAR" too young to be a Grammy, and because my last name is Green, so, Grandma Green, GG, ---Gigi :thumbup:
Gigi is good. I like that. Mimi is Mother. I think it's French. My daughter's beau calls his Grandmother 'Omar' which is Dutch. His eyes sparkle when he speaks about his Omar.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Yes Meme and Pepe are french...
Old 08-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
Gi-Gi. That is what I am called because I am a grandmother way too soon.
I became a Grandmother too young, 37 yo, so decided I wanted to be called Nanny, Grandma sounded too old. My middle daughter married into a family where the grandkids are pushed to call the grandparents Mom and Dad, my daughter has resisted this strongly. Since they wouldn't help pick a name they ended up being called Grandma and Grandpa. I have found that the kids will come up with a name they want to use. They sometimes call me Nan or Nanna.

My mom is called Gran.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:30 PM

When DD was growing up, my DM had passed away before she was born and MIL passed away when she was 12. She called her Granni. When she was pregnant, she asked is the baby could refer to me as Granni, not that I was old but because it made her think of my MIL. (her words. LOL)She now has two boys and they call her MIL Mimi and I am Mimi with the Papa. Kids will call you what they want and I LOVE anything they call me.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Growing up, my maternal grandparents were Big Grandma and Little Grandma (great-grandma). My paternal grandmother was referred to by our last name. Some dear friends of the family were also Grandpa & Grandma (last name). As an adult, I discovered many of my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents didn't share a drop of blood-only love and acceptance. Some of these people were so dear, they truly treated me as well as their own family. To me, it's all about who loves you, not whose DNA you share. I think it's wonderful you're accepting the baby as your own.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 PM

My neighbors growing up all had grandkids close to my age. The ones next door were Gram and Diddy, across the street were Memaw and Pop, others were Gramma and Deeda, Gammy and Pawpaw.
I'm Grammy or Ms Patty (what the church kids have called me for years)
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 PM

Maybe you or your hubby could ask Matt his thoughts on the subject the the next time he calls.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62
Maybe you or your hubby could ask Matt his thoughts on the subject the the next time he calls.
Matt was delighted with the card in the first package we sent that was signed "Poppy and Gigi". Both he and Mel were relieved and happy that I had taken the initiative to choose a name that avoided conflict with the other grandparents' names. Gigi is different... and I accept that my role in Natalie's life will be different. She is beautiful and I love her... not just now but for all the years ahead that we will share. There can never be too much love in a child's life.