Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Ants in the kitchen! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/ants-kitchen-t267821.html)

janjj 07-21-2015 08:40 AM

I used to use Terro but then one year they were not even interested in it. so went online they said baby powder. it worked. for tiny grease ants I use whole cloves. no more grease ants!

lots of ideas here so will keep a list if my remedies quit working.

Friday1961 07-21-2015 09:57 AM

I had this problem for some time. Tried a little of everything. Finally bought Raid Ant Gel (in a tube) and applied it along the edge of the sink and at the backsplash. It does carry a warning label, but it worked just as it said it would. I prefer non hazardous fixes but frankly, I'd had it with the ants!

RosaSharon 07-21-2015 12:14 PM

For the entire 15 years in this house we have had tiny ants. I had tried everything! Terro was pretty good, but it would take up to a week for them to get their fill and leave. Finally I couldn't stand one more year so I went to the hardware store and asked them. This stuff really works!! ORTHO HOME DEFENSE insect killer for indoor and perimeter. 12 month control.

It is safe to use in the kitchen. It is supposed to last up to a month. It was magic! Watch for the line of ants and see where they are getting in and spray this great stuff around the entrance. If you can't find that, just spray where they seem the worse. We have been two years ant free now. I did see a couple and quickly got out the spray and no more came in.

Latrinka 07-21-2015 02:00 PM

I've had those before, I use Bengal, no critters here!

sunny42539 07-21-2015 04:27 PM

Mix borax with some sugar and water. Dip cotton balls in it and place around where you see them. It's supposed to kill out the nest. I just use Terro.

Rose Bagwell 07-21-2015 04:27 PM

That Terro Liquid Ant bates is the best. It comes in clear trays, which you peel top slightly and put is places where ants appear. This is very good. You need something they eat and take back to nest so they can also kill the rest. Home Depot has them, KMart also.

meanmom 07-21-2015 07:49 PM

I spray around the outside of the house with Bayer Advanced Home pest and germ killer. I also spray it around the windows and doors. It is supposed to last up to 6 months and the bugs aren't supposed to cross the line. I also put small bowls of a mixture of powdered sugar and boric acid along my counters. My ants are finally gone.
We have had ants in our house since we built it 15 years ago. Since I started spraying once a year they are finally gone.

PenniF 07-22-2015 08:25 AM

Have not read all the posts....but you did say "natural".....i have been told that ants will not cross a chalk like....worth a try i think. I use Terro too.....it works fast and does the job completely.....and only takes a drop or 2.

IBQUILTIN 07-22-2015 11:08 AM

Sprinkle a fine line of Borax along the edge of the counter and fill any entry holes with toothpaste. They don't like it

donnajean 07-22-2015 11:17 AM

I don't get ants in the house as I spray around the foundation outside and across thresholds with insect control product. If you find a place with a bunch of the critters, pour some vinegar on the area and they will disappear. I just took care of my neighbor's slate walkway about a month ago and they never came back.