Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anxiety (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anxiety-t79121.html)

mzsooz 11-28-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by morelcabin
I know, it does kind of sound like OCD, but it's different than that I think, because I only got it with the baby, and only because I was so afraid to forget her somewhere LOL! So I would constantly check, because I didn't have her all the time...

Mine manifests itself in many different ways. The weirdest being that every time I hit a bump in the road I think I've run over or hit someone. I've been known to circle back around to make sure there are no bodies laying there! But the main OCD is my trichotillomania. (I pull my hair out). I've been searching for over 20 years trying to find something that helps...nothing does. I take handfuls of meds every day but it only helps with the depression, anxiety and sleep problems. It is just a matter of acceptance now.

morelcabin 11-28-2010 02:41 PM

You might really notice a difference with Vitamin D...not only that, it cuts certain cancer risks by over 80%

the real misfit 11-28-2010 04:50 PM

yes my dear there are millions of people who suffer from anxiety attacks i am one who when i had my first major attack that i could not get under control went to a doctor who told me dont worry you have the flu bug go home and rest well that did not help and with that i lost 10 years of my life i would not go anywhere was scared to death of leaving my home even to go try picking up a gallon of milk for my children at the store. i was very confused, angry,and depressed. i had to depend on others to help me with getting my erands done for me not fun at all. i had final seen how it was affecting my children and felt i needed to get to the bottom of this. i have seen doctors and hypnotsis , emergency room visits and finally had found a doctor who tryed different meds intil we could get it under control. it is not something you can ever control and you never know when it will flare up my doctor tells me dont worry no one has ever died from it although you feel like you are just remember when it flares up you must remember to concentrate on your breathing and focus on one thing it is very hard but you can practice it at home. i am told that the anxiety attacks have to do with your estrogen levels try having them checked especially if you are post menopausal. and remember if you need there are so many people who are trained in this field that can help you out keep you chin up you definately are not alone

sueisallaboutquilts 11-28-2010 08:11 PM

Oh my gosh I could write a book on this one. I had my first full-blown panic attack when I was 20. They have been a problem for me my entire adult life but things are better.
Without making this a very long story I will tell you some things I have learned:
In my case they run in my family. Several sibs, my Dad, and my son.
I've had lots of cognitive therapy. My attacks almost always come from my thinking, whether I realize it or not.
I have to be careful with caffeine ( coffee addict here), getting the proper sleep, avoiding stress as much as possible.
I pray and meditate,and do yoga. Deep breathing is SOOOO helpful!
A healthy diet is a must for me.
Getting "out of my head" is a good way, for example focusing on something or someone else. Plus it makes me happy.
Medications when needed. Xanax has been a lifesaver for me.
This post is getting way too long but I've been physically healthy my whole life but the anxiety and depression are absolutely terrible. I feel good most of the time but really need to make sure I'm fit physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
I wouldn't wish anxiety or panic attacks, whatever you want to call it, and depression on my worst enemy.
HUGS to all, Sue
PS. At one point in my life I couldn't drive for 5 years!! I still have trouble with freeways and some days just driving anywhere can be hard but I do the best that I can.
Thanks for letting me share all this with you :)

Cuilteanna 11-28-2010 11:56 PM

I read this thread and realised I needed to check the expiry date on my Xanax! (January 2012). I try not to use it too often, but it is like a safety blanket for me. I rarely go out unless it's local errands or someone else is with me and I only drive locally. I have done the CBT but didn't find it all that helpful to me. I know the vitamin D is a big problem as we get so little sun and the winter days are very, very short. Perhaps I may try a larger dose of it! I rarely get the panic attacks any more though I do still have anxiety problems. Just having to pick up a telephone is very stressful for me, I love email and text messaging!

sueisallaboutquilts 11-29-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
I read this thread and realised I needed to check the expiry date on my Xanax! (January 2012). I try not to use it too often, but it is like a safety blanket for me. I rarely go out unless it's local errands or someone else is with me and I only drive locally. I have done the CBT but didn't find it all that helpful to me. I know the vitamin D is a big problem as we get so little sun and the winter days are very, very short. Perhaps I may try a larger dose of it! I rarely get the panic attacks any more though I do still have anxiety problems. Just having to pick up a telephone is very stressful for me, I love email and text messaging!

I wouldn't worry about the expiration date. Many medications are good far beyond the exp date.
In my loooong post I forgot to mention how helpful sun is and we don't get enough either! :)

redvette54 11-30-2010 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I used to. I suffered from anxiety and depression. I haven't taken any meds in 4 years and feel great most of the time. I still have some of the anti-depressents just in case I feel a bout coming on but usually I just get more rest and it helps. I also refocus. Volunteering to do charity work, working with my church, sewing---anything I can do to take my mind off myself. I don't mean to sound cruel or unfeeling but my worst bouts are when I'm too inward, to focussed on "self". When I quit worrying about "me" and started thinking what I could do for others it helped me. Then when I really got involved in church and focused more on Him, that helped the most. If you aren't involved with any of these things I strongly urge you to do so.

I read this post a day or so ago and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. You are a very wise woman. I have been spending to much time focused on my aches and pains, etc. We have been blessed in these hard times with keeping our jobs and having our wants met. We do help my husbands kids, but sometimes I think they expect it. I've decided I need to pay it forward to a stranger, I'm working on that. Just wanted to say thank you for your powerful words.

Dixieldy 12-02-2010 06:58 AM

I thought I'd stop and post here a minute. I used to have Panic Attacks really bad after having my last child. I had no idea what it was. Was taken back to the doctor and my BP was good and he couldn't find anything wrong with me. I never told anyone again about how I was feeling. I started noticing that my panic attacks would get really bad while traveling somewhere, and I would feel like I was gonna open the car door and jump out! That's how crazy it made me feel. One day in my home, I started to cry and pray as I was entering the shower. I told G-d that if this was the way it was gonna be that I was ready to die. When I got out the shower, I noticed the panic attack was gone. They never came back again! PTL... I know he healed me.

So back in Sept/Oct last year I started waking up with my heart beating fast. It was like someone said BOO to me or something and woke me up. I began to wonder what in the world? In May that year our landlord locked us out of our business illegally and I have to say I was stressed about that but didn't think this is what caused this. Then, the day after Thanksgiving last year someone attempted to burn my house down. Lived with my parents for 4 mos. Those anxiety attacks were still there, and especially if I had gotten upset that particular day. And just a few days before this Thanksgiving, my husband and child was in a wreck and totaled my new car. Talk about Anxiety? Well... I haven't been to a dr in 13 years for anything. I've watched him heal my husband of an incurable/inoperable cancer so I have so much faith and trust in him that I do believe one day this problem will go away. If not, I'll HAVE to see a doctor.

I find that this happens the most when my mind just won't slow down. It starts to think so much that when I start to fall asleep, my mind thinks about something and wakes me up. Most of the time it seems to be something stupid that doesn't even make any sense. I do believe alot is hormonal but alot can be passed down too as most of my family are on anti-depressants. I keep fighting NOT to have to go on medication and will keep fighting. I find it best just NOT to try and sleep when I am like this as I am calm unless I sleep and wake up startled. Some nights though, I fall asleep crying and praying to G-d and then I wake up the next morning thanking him that he provided some good rest for me.

One more thing before I close. Please don't be like me and worry about going to bed for fear that you are going to have a bad night. If you have one, then read something, get on the computer and read the boards... when your body gets really tired, it WILL shot down and sleep. Most of all, just whisper a prayer.. He's always so near :)

Hugs to all of you who have this problem!

mzsooz 12-02-2010 05:50 PM

Dixieldy - the fast beating heart is probably heart palpitations. I bet you are going through peri menopause. I started having these myself. And then a few years later came the hot flashes. I'm on prempro now and wouldn't live without it. Really did change the quality of my life.

There are many things that will cause anxiety and a lot of them are medical problems that should be addressed. I urge everyone to see their dr about it. And take those B vitamins!!