Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any Computer Virus Experts on Here!!?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-computer-virus-experts-here-t47012.html)

marsye 05-25-2010 03:08 AM

My new laptop says it has a virus! What do I do? It cost too much to take it to someone. Anything I can try?? :cry:

barnbum 05-25-2010 03:09 AM

I think your avatars are causing it. :wink:

Have protection?
Sorry--no other help.

cassie69emt 05-25-2010 03:13 AM

What antivirus software are you running? do you have a spyware program , if so what is it ? You should restart your computer in safe mode and scan it that is the best way to run your anitvirus and best way to disable any virus you might have .It is also easier to let the virus checker quarintine it PM if any other ?s
Cassie

marsye 05-25-2010 03:14 AM

That very possible because I'm so ugly! :lol: :lol:

I thought I had protection....I use AVG free version that was recommended by a pc guru. :|

marsye 05-25-2010 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by cassie69emt
What antivirus software are you running? do you have a spyware program , if so what is it ? You should restart your computer in safe mode and scan it that is the best way to run your anitvirus and best way to disable any virus you might have .It is also easier to let the virus checker quarintine it PM if any other ?s
Cassie

Thanks! I'm not sure. Have to take my husband for hernia surgery this morning so don't have time to mess with it. Soon as I get time I will see what I can do! Thank you very much!

sewcrafty 05-25-2010 03:21 AM

Have you run a virus scan? Or is it one of those programs that state you have a virus and want you to purchase their product? You might want to try to do a system restore and see if that'll work.

Otherwise, I have no more suggestions. :cry:

Good Luck!!

marsye 05-25-2010 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Have you run a virus scan? Or is it one of those programs that state you have a virus and want you to purchase their product? You might want to try to do a system restore and see if that'll work.

Good Luck!!

Thats what its telling me! It wants me to purchase their product............I will try a system restore when I get back home! Thanks!!

fabric-holic 05-25-2010 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by marsye

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Good Luck!!

Thats what its telling me! It wants me to purchase their product............I will try a system restore when I get back home! Thanks!!

Wait! I'm not an expert but I just read something recently (on Yahoo maybe?) that these warnings of virus's and "buy our product to get rid of it" is just a scare tactic.....you don't really have a virus a lot of times....they just want to sell you something.
So if it were me, I would first follow the previous advice and scan my pc in safe mode before I click on the "buy this" thing.
I also use AVG because it was recommended by a Geek at BestBuy.
I hope your husband's surgery goes smoothly and also good luck with your pc.

CarrieAnne 05-25-2010 03:39 AM

I heard the same thingon Clark Howard, I think it might be called something like Malware? They put the ad on your computor, and it is **ll to get it off. They do want you to buy there protection, but I guess sometimes that doesnt even work! Hope your Hubby is doing okay!

SherriB 05-25-2010 04:23 AM

I had a virus get on my computer a few days ago. I could not run any malware or anti-virus software. The virus wanted me to buy "protection" from viruses. I couldn't even open Firefox or Explorer.

DD's boyfriend loves computers and he came over to look at it. He used DD's laptop to look up the virus. He found a removal tool for it. Put it on a jump drive and then downloaded it onto my computer. It worked! I was so tickled. :mrgreen: He said that it was a new virus and was rated up there as a bad one to get. I hope you can get it off yours!