Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Computer Virus Experts on Here!!??

Banned
    My new laptop says it has a virus! What do I do? It cost too much to take it to someone. Anything I can try?? :cry:

Blog Entries
    I think your avatars are causing it. :wink:

Have protection?
    Sorry--no other help.

What antivirus software are you running? do you have a spyware program , if so what is it ? You should restart your computer in safe mode and scan it that is the best way to run your anitvirus and best way to disable any virus you might have .It is also easier to let the virus checker quarintine it PM if any other ?s
    Cassie

Banned
    That very possible because I'm so ugly! :lol: :lol:

I thought I had protection....I use AVG free version that was recommended by a pc guru. :|

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie69emt
    What antivirus software are you running? do you have a spyware program , if so what is it ? You should restart your computer in safe mode and scan it that is the best way to run your anitvirus and best way to disable any virus you might have .It is also easier to let the virus checker quarintine it PM if any other ?s
    Cassie
    Thanks! I'm not sure. Have to take my husband for hernia surgery this morning so don't have time to mess with it. Soon as I get time I will see what I can do! Thank you very much!

Have you run a virus scan? Or is it one of those programs that state you have a virus and want you to purchase their product? You might want to try to do a system restore and see if that'll work.

Otherwise, I have no more suggestions. :cry:

Good Luck!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    Have you run a virus scan? Or is it one of those programs that state you have a virus and want you to purchase their product? You might want to try to do a system restore and see if that'll work.

Good Luck!!
    Thats what its telling me! It wants me to purchase their product............I will try a system restore when I get back home! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Good Luck!!
    Thats what its telling me! It wants me to purchase their product............I will try a system restore when I get back home! Thanks!!
    Wait! I'm not an expert but I just read something recently (on Yahoo maybe?) that these warnings of virus's and "buy our product to get rid of it" is just a scare tactic.....you don't really have a virus a lot of times....they just want to sell you something.
    So if it were me, I would first follow the previous advice and scan my pc in safe mode before I click on the "buy this" thing.
    I also use AVG because it was recommended by a Geek at BestBuy.
    I hope your husband's surgery goes smoothly and also good luck with your pc.

I heard the same thingon Clark Howard, I think it might be called something like Malware? They put the ad on your computor, and it is **ll to get it off. They do want you to buy there protection, but I guess sometimes that doesnt even work! Hope your Hubby is doing okay!

Blog Entries
    I had a virus get on my computer a few days ago. I could not run any malware or anti-virus software. The virus wanted me to buy "protection" from viruses. I couldn't even open Firefox or Explorer.

DD's boyfriend loves computers and he came over to look at it. He used DD's laptop to look up the virus. He found a removal tool for it. Put it on a jump drive and then downloaded it onto my computer. It worked! I was so tickled. :mrgreen: He said that it was a new virus and was rated up there as a bad one to get. I hope you can get it off yours!

Some of those lovely message that say you have a virus are actually the ones that give you a virus. As long as you have a good antivirus scanner on there I wouldn't worry about it. however I would run your current antivirus with the latest updates and get rid of whatever it is that is trying to get on your PC.

Good Luck!!
    Wanting you to purchase their product IS the virus. DO NOT click on it, do not open it. Search virus here on the board, there was a thread recently on this issue. I had the same thing happen to me. Good luck

Hi gorgeous! Try AVAST and malware bytes - they are both free, it sounds like a tricky buy me one to me, hope hubby is OK and able to fit back into his bear suit soon, hahaha.

If you have Norton Anti-virus you need to remove/disable it. For some reason AVG sees Norton as a virus.

Blog Entries
    I had the same pop up yesterday , just after I went to a site shown on here. Scared the heck out of me. So offical looking! Darn warnings kept popping up constantly. Then I ran a scan with my virus/spyware, found there was a virus, and that was it. Put it in quarantine for me, and then I had it removed. So far, everything seems okay. Hope so, I'm not wise on this stuff.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The pop up warning of a virus and wanting you to buy a product are always a scam. A very, very good one that gets lots of people to download a virus on their computer.

Blog Entries
    that is a scam when it wants you to purchase it, as then you will get the virus, that happened to a friend, she bought it and boy did she get a bad bad virus

Good Luck!!

Blog Entries

Good Luck!!
    WHATEVER YOU DO--DO NOT CLICK TO BUY THE PROGRAM! MAKES IT WORSE!!!!!!!!!

I know the Norton has an online site that you can use to scan your system. It will take awhile to do so, but I would do that to verify whether or not you actually have a virus. (That is if all of your other efforts don't work).

If you want, I can find the link for you. Just let me know.

Hope hubby's hernia surgery goes well. Been there done that too. I told ya'll I think I had just about everything happen to me at least once. Knock on wood, haven't had a heart attack or stroke yet.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    there have been a lot of us posting of a virus. I guess you could do a search. i know of at least 4 on the board including me. it happened about a in March that is when I changed my name. 2 weeks ago my computer dropped dead it was not ever 2 years old. i didn't have it fixed once it gets a virus it never really gets back to being itself. i HAD to buy an new one. OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH I remember one of the other people I think was mousie.

I had a virus warning come up and ignored it and it went away.

My computer guru downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy, which is free. Works for me. PC magazine recommends it. See what they wrote below:

"Though its name sounds like bad dialog from a 60's sci-fi flick, Spybot Search & Destroy is a good program to have around for those trying times when you think someone is lurking behind the browser curtain tracking your every Web move. Fire it up and it'll spot all sorts of tracking cookies and the like, then remove them if you choose to do so.

Spybot offers an immunization feature which supposedly protects against the kinds of spyware that the program will remove. Not having used this feature for more than a few days, I can't say how effective it is, but it didn't seem to interfere with browsing and supported both Internet Explorer and Firefox. My scan inside a fairly new virtual machine didn't turn up much, but it turned up more than I thought it would. I've only used a browser a few times in the VM and there were already a bunch of tracking cookies. Some tracking cookies are actually useful while others are simple marketing spies and Spybot seemed to recognize the difference in most cases. The program also offers a restore function in case you delete one of the good kind by accident, and there's what seems to be an effective resident shield (TeaTimer) which will warn you of suspicious behavior like registry entries being changed or removed."

Blog Entries
    Sorry you are having to go through this, those evil computer hackers/programmers can come up with some doosies...

I hope that DH is doing well after his surgery :D:D:D

Good Luck!!
    I had this same thing happen to me. Try doing a system restore for atleast 3 weeks ago and see if it disappears. It really got to be a pain in the a**. Called comcast, which got me in touch with Norton and they finally got rid of it. Don't wait to long or it will play with your computer.

These ads should be illegal!!!! If you click on the site in anyway, it keeps do this to you.

You know, maybe an Ad-ware would get rid of it also. They're free. Do a google for them.

I wish I would have thought of these things when it happened to me, but I got all discomboulated(sp)!!!!

Blog Entries
    Checking in for an update on hubs. Hope all is as well as it can be.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast