Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computer virus -need some advice >

Computer virus -need some advice

Computer virus -need some advice

Old 04-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

I was stupid and downloaded an anti virus program that turned out to be a virus and now my comp is totally locked up.

I was getting pop up windows and I tried to find the installation to uninstall and there wasn't one. Then I got a black screen and my comp system said it was closing down to protect the comp from a virus. It said to close down my comp and restart so now I have no comp. I am so very afraid I have lost everything, My daughter keeps saying she will take time to show me how to make backup discs but never have.
So here I sit with all my files gone probably.

Any ideas?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:16 PM

PRAY!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ctack2
PRAY!
:XD: :XD:
Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Did you already have an anti virus on the computer ? There is one out that that acts like a virus to scare you into downloading it . pops up with multiple windows and scans showing all different "bad" things on your computer . Wish i could think of the name , because I bet it is in your software add/remove list and if you removed it you would be ok. have you scanned the add/remove software list and looked for a program that was just ran on the day that this happened ?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM

Will it let you restart at all? If so, download
Spybot Search and Destroy at
http://www.Safer-networking.org/
and Malware at
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

these will remove the virus and they are free. When I ran them on my pc after contracting a virus it said I had 411 infected files! They fixed them all.

If it won't let you start up at all, you'll have to take it in to a computer guru and get it fixed or replace it. It'll cost about the same thing either way.

I'm sorry :-(
Old 04-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Rhonda, if you got that fake video type virus thingy from Facebook, what I finally was able to do was do a 'system restore' on my computer, and set it back to the previous Thursday.
If you're able to get it running again, maybe this will work for you?

And if it was you, (and not the virus thingy sending out another fake message), asking 'how could I do that' - it wasn't me! - I got it too! And I even have an active anti-virus program running!

I hope you get it figured out soon!!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

Same thing happened to me last week it lasted for about 4 days all I did was kept closing the pop up windows which was about every 3 minutes. All the icons at the bottom of my computer were different. I didn't do anything to try and fix it because I didn't know what to do and the way it come it went. My computer is fine now. This is the 3rd thread on the board with the same computer problem. I wonder what is going on.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:14 PM

try to get the computer up... and then go and down load Malware Bytes (the free version) and run that a couple of times. It should get it the first time... but the next couple of times allows you to be sure you got everything!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Rhonda, if you got that fake video type virus thingy from Facebook, what I finally was able to do was do a 'system restore' on my computer, and set it back to the previous Thursday.
If you're able to get it running again, maybe this will work for you?

And if it was you, (and not the virus thingy sending out another fake message), asking 'how could I do that' - it wasn't me! - I got it too! And I even have an active anti-virus program running!

I hope you get it figured out soon!!
Anti Virus is not going to get a trojan virus... but anit malware will... thats why I suggest Mal Ware Bytes. We had a problem similar and this is what we did due to a friend suggesting it to me.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Yes, thanks to Purplemem, I used the link she provided for malware, and it found 12 whatevers!! I thought my computer was fine, after I did the system restore!
Thanks Alu_Rathbone, for seconding her advice!

The two, which were repeated, that the malware found on mine were: Rogue.TotalPCDefender2010 and worm.koobFace I have no idea if they're trojan viruses or not.