Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computer virus -need some advice >

Computer virus -need some advice

Computer virus -need some advice

Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue
Yes, thanks to Purplemem, I used the link she provided for malware, and it found 12 whatevers!! I thought my computer was fine, after I did the system restore!
Thanks Alu_Rathbone, for seconding her advice!

The two, which were repeated, that the malware found on mine were: Rogue.TotalPCDefender2010 and worm.koobFace I have no idea if they're trojan viruses or not.
TotalPCDefender2010 is a trojan. It's parading around as a "Security Software" and it's most definitely not... I don't know about the second one... and you are most welcome!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:29 PM

worm.koobFace is a worm/trojan that you got off facebook. Someone sent you a link with a video, when you clicked the link it embedded the worm into your computer and hijacked your address book. Then it sent the same virus the same way to everyone else. Do not open any attachments. They often have embedded viruses.

You are very welcome.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ctack2
PRAY!
Rhonda, I am so sorry! I got a message like that one time, but my screen didn't go black and nothing happened.
I'm sure you checked things out though.
I will pray. I can only imagine the stuff you have on your computer. I'd be a blubbering mess. hugs, (((Rhonda)))
Old 04-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

Yeah QC I was a mess when I first realized it was a virus and I might lose everything! If and when I get it fixed I am going to figure out how to save my stuff!! I am just glad it didn't infect my laptop. I did have some shared files but they are not on here (laptop) now so that is ok.

I went online on the laptop and found some ideas but I can't get beyond the start up. No windows what soever. I reboot and I get a security window(my grandson put that on and didn't know how to take it off so I live with it! LOL) and I click ok to unlock it and then I get the screensaver and the symbol or wait whatever you call that thing with the sand(can't remember!) and after a few minutes then I get this window that covers the whole screen, It is a fake scan. Virus Protector new age of antivirus software. It sent the virus to my DD also and hers is XP software tool 2010. I guess it has several names but is the same virus.

I just hope and pray I can get it off without losing anything.

Everything I saw online suggested downloading and I can't get on to do that. One guy started a new user and got rid of it that way. But I can't access anything.

edit: LOL I just remembered it is called an hourglass! Duh!!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplemem
worm.koobFace is a worm/trojan that you got off facebook. Someone sent you a link with a video, when you clicked the link it embedded the worm into your computer and hijacked your address book. Then it sent the same virus the same way to everyone else. Do not open any attachments. They often have embedded viruses.

You are very welcome.
Yeah I learned this the hard way just the other day.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:26 PM

try to get into safe mode... if thats not an option take it in... or find a tech savvy friend that knows how to fix computers with this situation.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
try to get into safe mode... if thats not an option take it in... or find a tech savvy friend that knows how to fix computers with this situation.
I can't do anything so I will probably have to ask someone to fix it.

We have to go to the VA tomarrow so I will take it with me and stop at Best Buy tomarrow and see if they can fix it for me. Was going to go buy fabric but oh well!!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM

If you lived closer I'd point you in the direction of my friend... If it comes down to it take it to Geek Squad... (best buy) and I'd use that as a last resort... only due to the price... They wanted to charge us over a 100 dollars to clean our computer of dust and to put in a RAM card that we just spent over 60 dollars on... We took it to my sisters friends brother who put it in for free and cleaned it.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

As the computer boots up you should be able top start hitting the F? ( I know big help :? ) key to get it into safe mode . Maybe someone else here will know which key it is, but as the computer starts you just keep tapping the key until it goes into safe mode. So even if the computer doesn't start fully you can get that. The other thing to try is do you have the restore disks for the computer ?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
As the computer boots up you should be able top start hitting the F? ( I know big help :? ) key to get it into safe mode . Maybe someone else here will know which key it is, but as the computer starts you just keep tapping the key until it goes into safe mode. So even if the computer doesn't start fully you can get that. The other thing to try is do you have the restore disks for the computer ?
I believe the key is f8 hit that repeatedly... as long as that boots up you'll be able diagnose and repair.