Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Computer virus -need some advice >

Computer virus -need some advice

Computer virus -need some advice

Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
Originally Posted by sharon b
As the computer boots up you should be able top start hitting the F? ( I know big help :? ) key to get it into safe mode . Maybe someone else here will know which key it is, but as the computer starts you just keep tapping the key until it goes into safe mode. So even if the computer doesn't start fully you can get that. The other thing to try is do you have the restore disks for the computer ?
I believe the key is f8 hit that repeatedly... as long as that boots up you'll be able diagnose and repair.
I tried that and it didn't do anything. I am just going to have to have the Geek Squad do it tomarrow if I can get in there.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 PM

That sucks! I hope everything is fixable!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 AM

If you can manage to download www.malwarebytes.com that might help. I had the same problem a few months ago. I managed (in between all the pop-ups) to run it, and it cleared up 57 problems. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yorkiemom
If you can manage to download www.malwarebytes.com that might help. I had the same problem a few months ago. I managed (in between all the pop-ups) to run it, and it cleared up 57 problems. Good luck!
I already had it downloaded. I can't do anything on it. I reboot and it comes on I unlock it and the virus takes over the whole screen. It has everything locked up. I have no access to anything. My daughter is going to have their friend try to get it off of hers(the virus sent itself to my email list) fortunately I deleted all my email contacts and have only added about 3 back in but my DD was one of them. I did have all the people who requested templates(200+) over the last year in there and when a virus hacked in and sent messages to everyone I deleted all my contacts so that wouldn't happen again. I am so glad I did that!!! I saw someone on here say that is what they did! So thanks for the suggestion!!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Spyware won't keep a virus off your computer. It has to be a virus protection program. One of the better ones is free to download and you can set it to up date everyday. And it has email virus checking before you open the email. http://free.avg.com/us-en/download

Also you can't have two virus programs on the same computer, they will mess you up. You can have as many spryware programs as you want with no problems. There are many free fix it programs to clean out your registry and put your computer back in order. The only place I trust for free programs is Kim Komando's website.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Spyware won't keep a virus off your computer. It has to be a virus protection program. One of the better ones is free to download and you can set it to up date everyday. And it has email virus checking before you open the email. http://free.avg.com/us-en/download

Also you can't have two virus programs on the same computer, they will mess you up. You can have as many spryware programs as you want with no problems. There are many free fix it programs to clean out your registry and put your computer back in order. The only place I trust for free programs is Kim Komando's website.
Thanks for the info! My comp sent this virus to my DD and she had her comp cleaned by a friend. He told her the same thing. She is going to come and run the disc on mine and get rid of this virus and then I will have to do all this over again.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Good place to get free software or free to try software for removing viruses malware trojans etc...etc is Zdnet.com.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Did you already have an anti virus on the computer ? There is one out that that acts like a virus to scare you into downloading it . pops up with multiple windows and scans showing all different "bad" things on your computer . Wish i could think of the name , because I bet it is in your software add/remove list and if you removed it you would be ok. have you scanned the add/remove software list and looked for a program that was just ran on the day that this happened ?
I have one on my laptop (this one is my sons), it say vista security. I am working with Kaspersky.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:54 PM

a few months ago I got some kind of worm/trojan/virus. It wouldn't let me access any of my security devises. I had to take it to the Geek~only cost me $60~and he downloaded both Spybot and Malware~the free versions~ and I run them once a week and I've had no more problem. I'm glad I got off of FaceBook. I think certain bad guys use it to spread their venom. :evil:
Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 AM

I just went through this not long ago!!! It played games with my computer that almost sent me crazy! Called my cable company and got connected with the Anti-virus supplier. I have Comcast, so they connected me with Norton and I don't remember what we did, but it was a pretty easy fix. See if your cable company can assist you with this. I thought I was losing everything!!! Couldn't access stuff, very frustrating!!! Norton did assist me with this though.

Good Luck!!!