Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any crocheters out there?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-crocheters-out-there-t247585.html)

athomenow 05-29-2014 05:04 PM

Any crocheters out there??

I love to crochet and usually have something going on at night while watching TV. My problem is the yarn coming over my index finger on my left hand is irritating it and making it almost raw. Any suggestions to stop this from happening or any nifty thing you've found for your finger. Or am I the only one who's having this problem??

lynnie 05-29-2014 05:13 PM

have the same problem. how about a thick coat of nail polish or liquid band aid.
or a bandaid itself, art of it. good luck, let us know what you do

Tartan 05-29-2014 06:07 PM

I recently saw a new product that might work. You can buy blue rubbery heat proof finger protectors for ironing. One of those on your finger might help or try cutting a finger off a pair of rubber gloves or buy a finger protector for going over wounds. They look like little finger "condoms":D

FabStripper 05-29-2014 06:19 PM

I was going to suggest a plastic glove, or at least cut the finger off of a plastic glove and see if that works. What about a piece of saran wrap until you can try the glove? Are you holding your project differently with your ring or middle finger (tension) - I guess that means you are right-handed, right? What if you just move the yarn to a new spot and see if that helps with the tension?

Annie Pearl 05-30-2014 03:40 AM

I don't know if a " finger condom" will work, I think the yarn will drag on the latex. I would user Nu Skin. I use it on my finger tips when I hand quilt. It's fairly tough and the yarn should slide over it without dragging.

oleganny 05-30-2014 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow (Post 6736608)
I love to crochet and usually have something going on at night while watching TV. My problem is the yarn coming over my index finger on my left hand is irritating it and making it almost raw. Any suggestions to stop this from happening or any nifty thing you've found for your finger. Or am I the only one who's having this problem??

I can recall many, many years ago, there was a plastic ring with a slot at the top for thread to go through - not sure if the slot was wide enough for yarn since I never used one, but my aunt did, especially when she was tatting, because of the fine thread she was working with. These might still be available online

athomenow 05-30-2014 04:39 AM

I will try some of these suggestions. I used the band aid last night and that seemed to work, just gets wet when I wash my hands. Hadn't thought of New Skin so that might work. I've tried putting the yarn on a different finger but it doesn't work as well with the tension. I need to take a look in the craft sections and see if there's some nifty product out there. Thanks! I'll let you know what I find. I just finished an afghan with Bernat yarn and it didn't bother me but this stuff I'm using now is not as soft so maybe that's the problem also. Trying to use up my yarn stash so didn't want to buy new stuff yet!

sewbizgirl 05-30-2014 04:41 AM

I'd just wear a band aid.

Dretha 05-30-2014 04:56 AM

I crochet at night while watching tv. I am making a doily and when my finger starts to get sore I move the thread back to a different spot on my finger. That seems to work for me. Hope you get your problem solved and please let us know what you do.

twinkie 05-30-2014 04:57 AM

Having crocheted for 67 years, I have not had that problem. I probably crochet at least 20 times a week for about an hour or two each time. The only suggestion I have is to put a coat of "nu-skin" on it. It is what you put on a sore to protect it from the elements. It is what professional bowlers use on their thumb when it is sore. Not sure if that is the correct name but I am sure the pharmacist will recognize what you are asking for. You can usually buy it over the counter. Good luck.