Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Any crocheters out there??

Any crocheters out there??

I love to crochet and usually have something going on at night while watching TV. My problem is the yarn coming over my index finger on my left hand is irritating it and making it almost raw. Any suggestions to stop this from happening or any nifty thing you've found for your finger. Or am I the only one who's having this problem??
    Debra

Blog Entries
    have the same problem. how about a thick coat of nail polish or liquid band aid.
    or a bandaid itself, art of it. good luck, let us know what you do
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    I recently saw a new product that might work. You can buy blue rubbery heat proof finger protectors for ironing. One of those on your finger might help or try cutting a finger off a pair of rubber gloves or buy a finger protector for going over wounds. They look like little finger "condoms"

I was going to suggest a plastic glove, or at least cut the finger off of a plastic glove and see if that works. What about a piece of saran wrap until you can try the glove? Are you holding your project differently with your ring or middle finger (tension) - I guess that means you are right-handed, right? What if you just move the yarn to a new spot and see if that helps with the tension?

I don't know if a " finger condom" will work, I think the yarn will drag on the latex. I would user Nu Skin. I use it on my finger tips when I hand quilt. It's fairly tough and the yarn should slide over it without dragging.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

Quote Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
    I love to crochet and usually have something going on at night while watching TV. My problem is the yarn coming over my index finger on my left hand is irritating it and making it almost raw. Any suggestions to stop this from happening or any nifty thing you've found for your finger. Or am I the only one who's having this problem??
    I can recall many, many years ago, there was a plastic ring with a slot at the top for thread to go through - not sure if the slot was wide enough for yarn since I never used one, but my aunt did, especially when she was tatting, because of the fine thread she was working with. These might still be available online

I will try some of these suggestions. I used the band aid last night and that seemed to work, just gets wet when I wash my hands. Hadn't thought of New Skin so that might work. I've tried putting the yarn on a different finger but it doesn't work as well with the tension. I need to take a look in the craft sections and see if there's some nifty product out there. Thanks! I'll let you know what I find. I just finished an afghan with Bernat yarn and it didn't bother me but this stuff I'm using now is not as soft so maybe that's the problem also. Trying to use up my yarn stash so didn't want to buy new stuff yet!
    Debra

I'd just wear a band aid.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    I crochet at night while watching tv. I am making a doily and when my finger starts to get sore I move the thread back to a different spot on my finger. That seems to work for me. Hope you get your problem solved and please let us know what you do.

Having crocheted for 67 years, I have not had that problem. I probably crochet at least 20 times a week for about an hour or two each time. The only suggestion I have is to put a coat of "nu-skin" on it. It is what you put on a sore to protect it from the elements. It is what professional bowlers use on their thumb when it is sore. Not sure if that is the correct name but I am sure the pharmacist will recognize what you are asking for. You can usually buy it over the counter. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    I'd just wear a band aid.
    Me too. I have a permanent callous on my index finger - started using a band aid - it works for me.

Blog Entries
    I buy paper tape at the Dollar Store. Just wrap a piece where the yarn is making your skin raw, and crochet on. I
    find that even crochet floss for dollies slides right across with no hang ups. Good Luck, I hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    join -knitting paradise.com- they have knitters and crocheters from all over

Oh how I wish some of you that crochet lived close to Burlington, Iowa. I need lessons. My grandmother and mother both crocheted and I did some along time ago, but have forgotten how. Both my grandmother and mother are gone, and I need a refresher course. Hope you find a solution to your finger problem. Linda

Blog Entries
    This looks like the ring that holds the yarn, but it's not available!
    http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Living...pr_product_top

Try the leather thimble that has elastic on one side. They have them at almost any sewing place including Wal-mart. My friend picked up mine that I was using for sewing and tried it. Worked great for her. It goes up high on the finger. Good luck

Right now I'm using the little circle band aids that come in the multi pack and I never have a use for. I did look today in the craft aisle for something else but didn't find anything useful. I will try the leather thimble next time I'm out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

One and Only I went online and found really great up close videos when I wanted to learn to knit. I'm sure the crochet ones are just as good. You can pause and back up until you get it. Good luck!
    Debra

Quote Originally Posted by oleganny View Post
    I can recall many, many years ago, there was a plastic ring with a slot at the top for thread to go through - not sure if the slot was wide enough for yarn since I never used one, but my aunt did, especially when she was tatting, because of the fine thread she was working with. These might still be available online
    Knit Picks sells them and they are not that expensive.
    Linda J.

Quote Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
    I will try some of these suggestions. I used the band aid last night and that seemed to work, just gets wet when I wash my hands. Hadn't thought of New Skin so that might work. I've tried putting the yarn on a different finger but it doesn't work as well with the tension. I need to take a look in the craft sections and see if there's some nifty product out there. Thanks! I'll let you know what I find. I just finished an afghan with Bernat yarn and it didn't bother me but this stuff I'm using now is not as soft so maybe that's the problem also. Trying to use up my yarn stash so didn't want to buy new stuff yet!
    Try BandAid brand Waterproof Tough Strips. I am a hairdresser and they stay on throughout the day with repeated shampoos, hair gels ets. Also, they are very smooth and the yarn should slide over it very easily.