Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any products you are reluctant to use - ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-products-you-reluctant-use-t296988.html)

luvstoquilt 05-18-2018 03:15 AM

Glue and starch. I use best press and magic sizing. I love gadgets, rulers and Books and like PatriceJ I have rulers in the original package. I can't resist when I see someone demo a ruler. I try not to watch! Lol

toverly 05-18-2018 03:54 AM

Embroidery machines and sergers. I know lots of people love theirs but I just can't see me using one.

JustAbitCrazy 05-18-2018 04:31 AM

Serger. Don't see the need for one.

Wanabee Quiltin 05-18-2018 04:42 AM

I am careful when it comes to rulers. If I look at a quilt book and it says I have to buy a certain ruler, I put the book down. I already have rulers in my drawer never used or used once.

coopah 05-18-2018 05:21 AM

Artificially scented anything.

helou 05-18-2018 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw (Post 8059869)
Specialty Rulers-I am not a gadget person, so I figure I can use a regular ruler instead. Plus most of them are quite expensive.

I keep thinking it can be done otherwise as the women of the generations before mine, quilted with very simple means... that's whow I like to do my quilts

Mariposa 05-18-2018 05:54 AM

Starch, and basting sprays.

Annie68 05-18-2018 05:55 AM

Basting spray,glue, and fusible anything. I dislike anything sticky around my fabrics.

Charleen DiSante 05-18-2018 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 8060182)
i wish i was a bit less reluctant.
i have some rulers still in the shrink wrap. lol

seriously, i won't even consider anything that
-creates extra steps
-requires me to make it wrong and then use the tool to fix it
-that is really just a re-packaged and overpriced something-or-other that i can get at an office supply or hardware store for a fraction of the price
-serves only one purpose (there are some exceptions to that, but very few.)

Haha, I love your comment about making something wrong so you can use the ruler to fix it.

Geri B 05-18-2018 07:12 AM

Glue when piecing, but I must admit I am a glue-girl with epp. Starch..haven't used since had to stack and iron dh cotton white dress shirts 10 yrs ago! But my weakness in this place is specialty rulers....if it makes something I want to do easier and more accurate, why not....I'm sure those before us would have jumped at the chance, rather than using cardboard or whatever....and I don't think "to make it wrong so that it can be made accurate" is actually what the intention is. I believe it is to cut and construct in simpler fashion, then fine tune it to the accurate size needed for the project, thus eliminating a possible error. Case in point might be Eleanor Burns has several rulers that are used to "trim", and it may be only 1/8" or less, but I would rather take the time to trim that than multiply that figure over the whole project and not have pieces meet the way they should. But that's me and my justification for purchases.