Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any products you are reluctant to use - ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-products-you-reluctant-use-t296988.html)

annievee 05-18-2018 07:19 AM

Heat N Bond----causes gummy problem on machine needle

Onebyone 05-18-2018 08:49 AM

I prefer to have the exact ruler with markings for the pattern I'm making. That saves me time and many times a lot of frustration. I use Terial Magic instead of starch before cutting. Even bias does't stretch. The things I refuse to use or do is pin basting, a rotary blade that skips, a marked up cutting mat, or a machine that gives me any trouble. I am not a make do type person. I don't see the rewards of it at my age.

Onebyone 05-18-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by annievee (Post 8060355)
Heat N Bond----causes gummy problem on machine needle

Heat n Bond Lite has never gummed up my needle. The regular Heat n Bond will.

Jingle 05-18-2018 04:25 PM

I am happy doing things like I always do them.

cathyvv 05-18-2018 05:17 PM

Agree on this.

PamelaOry 05-18-2018 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8060405)
I prefer to have the exact ruler with markings for the pattern I'm making. That saves me time and many times a lot of frustration. I use Terial Magic instead of starch before cutting. Even bias does't stretch. The things I refuse to use or do is pin basting, a rotary blade that skips, a marked up cutting mat, or a machine that gives me any trouble. I am not a make do type person. I don't see the rewards of it at my age.

my cutter skips! I always thought it was the first sign of a dulling blade.

canmitch1971 05-18-2018 06:45 PM

I am afraid to use the basting sprays. I am asthmatic.

katesnanna 05-18-2018 06:54 PM

Surprising Dunster. You make such fabulous quilts.

zozee 05-18-2018 07:34 PM

Frixion pens (I've read of horror stories of them not washing out).
Pricey iron. (Don't see the purpose when my $20 one does the job well.)
Serger or embroidery machine. (I'm not anticipating needing or wanting them.)

patricej 05-19-2018 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 8060347)
... But that's me and my justification for purchases.

the good news is that none of us have to justify anything to each other. :)
some of my friends think i'm nuts to have bought some of the stuff i have.
i think they are nuts to have some of the gadgets they have.
we all agreed to disagree.
since they don't spend my money and i don't spend theirs neither of us sees the need for the other to justify a durned thing. lol

sometimes, when i'm kicking myself for having spent new-floor-money on equipment instead, one of my bestest friends reminds me that i worked hard for the money, am having a blast with my toys, donate virtually every quilt i make to charity, and that the floors might be hideous to look at but they still function as floors. she encourages me to stop thinking i need to justify the purchases to anybody - including myself. (now that's a gooood friend.) :)