Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Any Signs of Spring around you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/any-signs-spring-around-you-t180535.html)

lynn_z 02-27-2012 07:45 PM

I'm in Portland Oregon and purple crocuses are gorgeous. Pink rhododendron is great too. Been a fairly mild winter with lots of rain so things are off to a good start here.

misseva 02-28-2012 10:13 AM

Yep, all of the flowering bushes/bulbs are doing their thing PLUS buffalo gnats, mosquitos and wasps are out in droves.

Helovesme 02-28-2012 02:17 PM

Here in central Texas (right outside of Austin) all the Texas mountain laurels are in full bloom! It smells like grape bubblegum everywhere! Can't wait for the bluebonnets to get here.

Ruby the Quilter 03-01-2012 08:37 PM

I take care of a small flower bed at church and today saw the tulips are blooming!

Rubesgirl 03-04-2012 11:31 AM

The daffodils are in full bloom and the yards are full of creeping Charlie! That's a sure harbinger of spring around here.

MamaO2011 03-04-2012 01:09 PM

I'm 35 miles east of Cincinnati. I have crocus blooming, my roses are starting to show new growth, my pansies never stopped blooming, my Autumn Joy sedum is growing back, the mums have new growth, and I have a lily coming up. The daffodils are all up and about to bloom, and all the underbrush in the woods is starting to show green. No leaves on the trees, but the buds are there. I get the winter blahs so I'm loving the early signs go spring!

Tartan 03-04-2012 01:32 PM

Around here I don't put out my annuals until after May 24 in case of frost....BUT my pussy willow catkins are half out. My forsytha is budding and I am trying to decide if I want to trim my roses and lavender way early or wait. The roses already have red leaf buds so I don't want to wait too long or I'll have to leave them. That would mean no weeding in my rose garden this year because it will be a tangled mess. Okay, I've talked myself into trimming them next week.

lynnegreen 03-04-2012 01:39 PM

in the Los Angeles area, inland Valley, we put out tomatoes today! I think it is too early but my DH plants them as soon as the nursery gets them. Daffodils are done already, as well as our tiny bit of grape hyacynth, but the freesias are a riot of color everywhere, wisteria starting to bloom, jasmine as well. Roses are leafing out and looks like a few buds are forming. We had a very dry and mild, even by our standards, winter. The only tulips I can grow did not get enough cold so the naturalized ones have great folliage but no orange-red tulips....boo hoo! I am afraid this all means a hot, dry, and unfortunately fire hazard summer for us here

hensandhollyhocks 03-04-2012 02:00 PM

Daffodils are blooming as is peach tree.

EllieGirl 03-04-2012 03:08 PM

We've had such a mild winter the robins never left! My neighbor has buds on her tulip tree and some on her bushes. We don't have anything in our yard.