Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anybody ever use cornmeal to kill ants? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anybody-ever-use-cornmeal-kill-ants-t265940.html)

purpleleaf 06-02-2015 05:30 PM

Anybody ever use cornmeal to kill ants?

Totally random question - sorry! My MIL insists it works because a friend of a friend told her. I'm convinced I'm just going have a bunch of happy ants that enjoy coming back to my house because I feed them! But the ant problem in the new house is just getting worse as it warms up, and I'm at my wits end. I can't use chemicals inside because my son is just learning to crawl, so if the cornmeal thing actually works it would be awesome.

Just thought I'd see if someone had ever heard of this and/or tried it.

Thanks!

butterfly48 06-02-2015 06:56 PM

Yes I have heard of it, they eat it and swell up and die. What is it going to hurt to try it?

juneayerza 06-02-2015 07:35 PM

I tried this and they made a wide path around it. I heard that cinnonom will keep them at bay, so that is going to be the next effort to keep them out of the house. I have a little dog, so I'm not going to have spraying done where she can walk in it.

cathyvv 06-02-2015 07:56 PM

Cinnamon does work! Several years ago, I had an ant super-highway from my door to my pantry. That was a long highway, two directions, and it amazed me how orderly it was. No road rage whatsoever!

I was on a conference call for work and couldn't go out to get bug spray. Nor could I just let the invasion continue. My mother told me years ago that ants can be 'discouraged' with cinnamon. I had that, so sprinkled it from the door to the pantry. Finished my call and went to the store to get ant spray.

I wasted my money on the ant spray. When I returned home, all of the ants were gone!

I used cinnamon again at my daughters home. The ants appear to writhe in agony when they come in contact with the cinnamon.

However, with a crawling baby, I don't think cinnamon is a good idea unless it can be sprinkled in a place the baby can't reach. Counter tops, near water sources and cabinets ought to be ok. I also sprinkled some under the door sills of my house, just in case.

Good luck with the ant problem.

juneayerza 06-02-2015 09:07 PM

"I had an ant super-highway from my door to my pantry. That was a long highway, two directions, and it amazed me how orderly it was. No road rage whatsoever!" LOL at the No road rage.

The ants haven't come in yet, but this is the third year in this house and for last two summers they have been a real problem. They are mainly in the bathrooms and the entry hall, not so much in the kitchen. We have been using Terro ant killer traps and last year they seemed to thrive on it. I'm going to buy a big container of ground cinnonom and blow it under the baseboards and see if it helps.

Tiggersmom 06-02-2015 09:27 PM

I just put out corn grits which according to the search on the internet recommended corn grits and corn meal. I found several huge ant farms in our back yard. I don't know if it will kill them all or just slow them down.
I have a new Yorkie and hate to think about putting poison down. I will give the grits a chance for a few weeks before resulting in the other option.

paoberle 06-03-2015 02:26 AM

Cathyvv said she did not think cinnamon was a good idea with a crawling baby around if the baby could reach it. Why?

celwood 06-03-2015 03:46 AM

I live in humid Florida and the ant problem is terrible. The only thing that I have gotten to work is Raid Ant Gel.

toverly 06-03-2015 03:59 AM

If cornmeal will get rid of the ants, won't it attract roaches? Just a thought.

Misty's Mom 06-03-2015 04:08 AM

I know this is off topic, but what about all those little spiders?