Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anybody ever use cornmeal to kill ants?

Anybody ever use cornmeal to kill ants?

Totally random question - sorry! My MIL insists it works because a friend of a friend told her. I'm convinced I'm just going have a bunch of happy ants that enjoy coming back to my house because I feed them! But the ant problem in the new house is just getting worse as it warms up, and I'm at my wits end. I can't use chemicals inside because my son is just learning to crawl, so if the cornmeal thing actually works it would be awesome.

Just thought I'd see if someone had ever heard of this and/or tried it.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Yes I have heard of it, they eat it and swell up and die. What is it going to hurt to try it?

I tried this and they made a wide path around it. I heard that cinnonom will keep them at bay, so that is going to be the next effort to keep them out of the house. I have a little dog, so I'm not going to have spraying done where she can walk in it.
    June

Cinnamon does work! Several years ago, I had an ant super-highway from my door to my pantry. That was a long highway, two directions, and it amazed me how orderly it was. No road rage whatsoever!

I was on a conference call for work and couldn't go out to get bug spray. Nor could I just let the invasion continue. My mother told me years ago that ants can be 'discouraged' with cinnamon. I had that, so sprinkled it from the door to the pantry. Finished my call and went to the store to get ant spray.

I wasted my money on the ant spray. When I returned home, all of the ants were gone!

I used cinnamon again at my daughters home. The ants appear to writhe in agony when they come in contact with the cinnamon.

However, with a crawling baby, I don't think cinnamon is a good idea unless it can be sprinkled in a place the baby can't reach. Counter tops, near water sources and cabinets ought to be ok. I also sprinkled some under the door sills of my house, just in case.

Good luck with the ant problem.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

"I had an ant super-highway from my door to my pantry. That was a long highway, two directions, and it amazed me how orderly it was. No road rage whatsoever!" LOL at the No road rage.

The ants haven't come in yet, but this is the third year in this house and for last two summers they have been a real problem. They are mainly in the bathrooms and the entry hall, not so much in the kitchen. We have been using Terro ant killer traps and last year they seemed to thrive on it. I'm going to buy a big container of ground cinnonom and blow it under the baseboards and see if it helps.
    June

I just put out corn grits which according to the search on the internet recommended corn grits and corn meal. I found several huge ant farms in our back yard. I don't know if it will kill them all or just slow them down.
    I have a new Yorkie and hate to think about putting poison down. I will give the grits a chance for a few weeks before resulting in the other option.
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Cathyvv said she did not think cinnamon was a good idea with a crawling baby around if the baby could reach it. Why?

I live in humid Florida and the ant problem is terrible. The only thing that I have gotten to work is Raid Ant Gel.
    Carmen E.

If cornmeal will get rid of the ants, won't it attract roaches? Just a thought.

I know this is off topic, but what about all those little spiders?

Quote Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
    Cathyvv said she did not think cinnamon was a good idea with a crawling baby around if the baby could reach it. Why?
    If it got on his hands, it would certainly go in his mouth. Everything goes in his mouth at this age. Even as an adult with taste buds that have been "broken in" for years, imagine eating a handful of cinnamon! I like cinnamon and I still wouldn't want to eat it plain. I think for a baby who has only had a few foods, it would be an assault to his taste buds. He'd be unhappy, but that's about it.

He has tried it before, though, I do add spices in VERY tiny amounts to his sweet potatoes and carrots. He's a fan!
    ~Erin

I tried the cornmeal trick last night. I'll go out and sprinkle some on the hills I see. We've only lived in this house for a few months and I'm quickly learning that the seals aren't very great. I think there's easily a 1/4" gap under the back door.

Thanks for the tips about the cinnamon, I'm going to put some of that on the windowsill behind the sink and around the sink!
    ~Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    The only natural thing to get rid of spiders to me is the vacuum cleaner. Don't vacuum up the spider webs until you see the spider in it. If you get rid of the web, they will only make new ones. You have to get the spider. I try to use a hand vac to pick up the spiders; then I take them outside and release them. Spiders are good bugs, but not in my house.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Okay, so I have no idea if this is true or not, but my mom and aunts swear that using lemon scented pledge around places that spiders might gain entrance to your home is a huge deterrent. I guess they hate the smell and if the crawl on it it has that waxy quality and it annoys them and they won't come back. I rarely see a spider in my mom's house, so maybe there's some truth to it!
    ~Erin

I've read that mixing powdered sugar and baking soda will work as they go after the powdered sugar and they can't differentiate and when soda gets in their system it reacts with their digestive system and they swell up and die.

Blog Entries
    I used the cinnamon and it worked great. I sprinkled it on a window sill and left it and after a day or two I used a small paint brush to brush it into as many crevices as I could find. Another tool to apply the cinnamon is a pointed spout like on a mustard container. I was really surprised that it worked so well.

A few years ago I went online and was informed to use baby powder. It did the trick! for grease ants I use whole cloves. I use Miracle II products and put some soap and water in a spray bottle and spray around edges of my basement. works great too diamatateous earth (sp) works great around the outside of the house. It is finely ground type of shells and bugs cut tlhemselves and dehydrate and die. You can get the food grade kind and eat it and get rid of parasites in your gut! all kinds of things out there ????

We've been having luck with Borax getting rid of ants. You can google it, as there are different approaches (wet or dry). After having nonstop invasions, we put out Borax and all ant traffic stops in its tracks, at least until the next big change in the weather. You only put the Borax outside in a few places, so your little one shouldn't come in contact with it.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I use fresh basil leaves in my pantry to keep them out of here. Also have heard of putting borax mixed in peanut butter and then stuffed into paper straws. You cut them into couple inch sections and lay them around your window sills to keep the ants at bay. If the window sills are high enough that your child can't reach as well as any animals that might work.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    No but Borax works great. My Aunt bought an apartment house with roaches. You name it this place had it. My Mom and Aunt used borax to get rid of the bugs. This is what I use now too. You just sprinkle it where you have the ants inside and out they take it back to their nest and next thing you know no ants.Buy a box and try it it isn't expensive and you can also use it in your wash. Good luck. Mia

We use a mixture of equal amounts of Borax and sugar and put in a lid like on a butter tub and put on a counter where they are coming in. The sugar draws them in and the Borax kills them.Has worked every time for us! Dee

I read that ants will not cross talcum powder. I put it on top of my humming bird feeders and it worked great. Then I had some come through my window. Haa, thought I'll get you guys and put down the talcum across the bottom of the window. They went up the wall over the talc and came for a visit anyway.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

The cinnamon definitely seems to working. I sprinkled some around some ants outside and they tried to get away from it.

The very best thing I have ever used to get rid of ants is called Terro. I buy it at Ace hardware store or True Value hardware stores, although other places carry it too. I started using it in the '80s when I lived in Minnesota and heard about it. It basically is a mixture of sugar and Borax in liquid form. You place it on a piece of paper or cardboard and set it in the middle of the path of ants. They take it back to their colonies and it destroys the entire colony. It's pretty harmless if a pet would happen to get into it. You can place it high enough that the baby can't reach it. I've used it when living in WA and CA as well, and it's been effective everywhere I've used it. Good luck with getting rid of them!

Blog Entries
    Terro is my go-to also! Thanks for info about it being non-toxic to pets! I've only used it on sills, etc, but today I see a path across the floor so will put some down! Very sticky on hands if you spill, but soap and water will take it off.
    My ants LOVED cinnamon! "more, please, more!"

Quote Originally Posted by angelmama22 View Post
    The very best thing I have ever used to get rid of ants is called Terro. I buy it at Ace hardware store or True Value hardware stores, although other places carry it too. I started using it in the '80s when I lived in Minnesota and heard about it. It basically is a mixture of sugar and Borax in liquid form. You place it on a piece of paper or cardboard and set it in the middle of the path of ants. They take it back to their colonies and it destroys the entire colony. It's pretty harmless if a pet would happen to get into it. You can place it high enough that the baby can't reach it. I've used it when living in WA and CA as well, and it's been effective everywhere I've used it. Good luck with getting rid of them!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast