Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anybody ever use cornmeal to kill ants?

Blog Entries
    my daughter was going crazy with ants and can't use chemicals because she has pets. I bought a large container of cinnamon at Costco and sprinkled along doorjams, under sink and behind the cabinet - no ants and the animals won't lick at it. While you are trying to get rid of the source and you have a stream coming in somewhere in the kitchen - grab your spray oil (PAM) and spray the trail. It stops them and you aren't putting chemicals on your kitchen counter.

I got rid of all of mine by using a package of Equal sweetener with a little powdered sugar. I mixed it and put it in bottle tops. They come to it like crazy then you see fewer and fewer until they are all gone. Outside I mix pure orange oil and water and pour on the mounds and that kills then very quickly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
    Cathyvv said she did not think cinnamon was a good idea with a crawling baby around if the baby could reach it. Why?
    If the baby gets it on it's hands, and wipes it's eyes, they can be injured.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    After 4+ years of trying every "safe", natural ant remedy known to man -- including cinnamon which stained the white tile back splash in my kitchen -- I found Terro ANT Killer at Walmart to be the ONLY thing that prevented them from even entering the house because it kills the whole colony.

It comes in a special orange bag that has holes in the bottom which allow the granules to be sprinkled around the base of the house outside. Try to use them on a day when you expect a bit of rain within 48 hours or so. I have outside cats and worried about them, but there doesn't seem to ever have been a problem.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
    Cathyvv said she did not think cinnamon was a good idea with a crawling baby around if the baby could reach it. Why?
    I would hate to think of a baby getting cinnamon in their eyes and sniffing it can't be good.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Cinnamon, corn meal, and borax have all worked here. Tho I do like the borax better outside. I've even used powdered laundry detergent, and it seemed to work too...
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Mix sugar with borax...they love the sugar and tote it all back home along with the borax which will kill them all.

I've been told that if you wipe down the areas the ants travel through with 100% white vinegar that the ants won't cross it. Haven't tried it myself, but the vinegar wouldn't hurt the baby or pets. Might be worth a try.

I'm going to have to print out these great responses. What seems funny is that this year we did not get any of the little sweet-eating ants. There were always around every spring, especially after an early spring rain. We had a few larger ants; I killed 5 or 6 a day for a month or so. I could just push them off the counter and step on them. They are gone now too.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    I too have used this and it works well with sugar ants. The whole gang of ants will come to feed, but in no time they'll be gone. I've used borax and Borateam in carpeting to get rid of fleas.

I'm going to try some of these ideas to get rid of carpenter ants. I hope it works.

The most effective way to get rid of ants is a product called Terro. You would have to put it out of baby's reach but it works like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    If cornmeal will get rid of the ants, won't it attract roaches? Just a thought.
    If the ants eat it all I wouldn't think so.

Can anyone tell me how much sugar to borax powder is the correct amounts to use for the ant problem I have?
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

[QUOTECan anyone tell me how much sugar to borax powder is the correct amounts to use for the ant problem I have?[/QUOTE]

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Ants-Using-Borax
    http://www.boraxforants.com/
    http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-ma...e-ingredients/

Hope these help.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Came across this link of FaceBook this morning.
    http://www.trendsandideas.com/7-natu...iller-recipes/

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Cinnamon can kill children. Do not use it where an infant or toddler can get into it. In tiny doses with food is okay.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...980396/?no-ist

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...nnamon/275191/

There are a lot of articles out there on the subject of cinnamon. I can only imagine what could happen with a toddler and accidental ingestion.
    Last edited by Judith1005; 06-06-2015 at 10:46 AM.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

i don't have any terro in my house, right now--but it used to be made with arsenic! check the list of ingredients before you set it around. i can't vouch for it, right now--maybe they've changed the formulation. it used to be fatal for pets.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

My DIL (in North Carolina) uses Borax and powdered sugar combo. I've seen it work.
    Connie

Power Poster
    I have used soda water on the mounds and it worked good...

I understand it works but you have to mix it with something that attracts them, like sugar. They won't eat it by itself (I tried). I am also reluctant to attract more than I already have...

I admit I used Terro liquid bait traps to FINALLY get rid of mine. It took about 3 series of baiting but the trick seems to be done. Except for the occasional outbreak of tiny tiny sugar ants - not nearly as prolonged or invasive as the Argentinian ants I usually battle - they seem to be gone for good. The baits will attract them, so be prepared - you have to just ignore them. I set the baits out before DH and I left for a 3-day business conference. When I came home, the only sign that there'd been activity was dead ants in the traps. That was February and I haven't had any trouble since.

Just as an aside - I use ammonia to kill bugs. They die quickly, dry up and are then easy to vacuum up. That's usually what I do if I find ant lines, until I can put out the bait.

For spiders, spray the areas they like with vinegar about once a week. They don't like it.
    Last edited by JulieW8; 06-18-2015 at 11:20 AM.

I am going to try cinnamon if they invade my apt again. The apt complex does have a service that sprays but I would rather have them spray outside then in this apt that doesn't have very good cross ventilation.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I use plain vinegar and it works just fine. I had done a Google search for "safe" methods of getting rid of ants. I don't know if it kills them or chases them, but they go away and stay away. Vinegar also kills the weeds in the cracks of sidewalks. Just don't spray it on your flowers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2