Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anybody keeping up with Sister Wives?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anybody-keeping-up-sister-wives-t79399.html)

BMP 11-29-2010 07:22 AM

I think they need to take most of these reality types of shows off air, no wonder some of the kids today are the way they are. It shows no morals. Another one that needs to go is any show that Kate is doing along with all the housewives shows.

ljsunflower 11-29-2010 07:44 AM

"Sister Wives"?? sounds really goofy to me.
I can definitely say I'm not keeping up with it.

renee765 11-29-2010 07:48 AM

I've been watching this, too. I've noticed that frequently, the first three wives talk about this making them a 'better person'? Huh? You could become a better person by volunteering at an senior citizen center, not by sharing a husband with three other wives!

At first, I kind of enjoyed watching, surprised at how the three wives got along so well. But when the fourth was added, I felt like she was showing the other three how she was the 'favored' one, and I don't watch it anymore.

akrogirl 11-29-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
I always wonder, in these polygamous cults, what happens to the extra men. DOn't they realize there is a reason why half the babies born are male and half are female? If God wanted every man to have several wives, wouldn't he have arranged things differently?

I live in AZ, where we have several of these communities, and the surplus young men - really still boys, just get kicked out in many, if not most, cases. It is very tough for them, because there is no place for them in their own communities and yet they are not prepared to deal with the "real" world.

bj 11-29-2010 08:34 AM

I want to know how he stays out of jail. They must not all be legal marriages, just "spoken over" or something. I'm pretty sure bigamy is still illegal in all 50 states. How come there's no brother husbands out there?

akrogirl 11-29-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I want to know how he stays out of jail. They must not all be legal marriages, just "spoken over" or something. I'm pretty sure bigamy is still illegal in all 50 states. How come there's no brother husbands out there?

Yep, they stated on the show that only one was a legal marriage. Law enforcement in these areas is complicated by the fact that a large percentage of the police force is comprised of, or certainly used to be, men who are polygamists themselves.

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 11-29-2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
I think they need to take most of these reality types of shows off air, no wonder some of the kids today are the way they are. It shows no morals. Another one that needs to go is any show that Kate is doing along with all the housewives shows.

Amen to that Bonnie!!! Take them all off the air.

MadQuilter 11-29-2010 09:46 AM

Let's take Palin off while we're at it.

As for the Sister Wives - I have watched it and simply marvel at how EVERYTHING is about THE GUY and how EVERYTHING gets rationalized. It is too funny to me.

akrogirl 11-29-2010 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Let's take Palin off while we're at it.

As for the Sister Wives - I have watched it and simply marvel at how EVERYTHING is about THE GUY and how EVERYTHING gets rationalized. It is too funny to me.

Yes, yes, yes to all you said, lol.

ptquilts 11-29-2010 09:59 AM

Brother Husbands, I like that... One to do yard work, one to do house work, one to earn a living, one for "AHEM..."