Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone else putting their gardens to bed? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-else-putting-their-gardens-bed-t152199.html)

QuiltingNinaSue 09-12-2011 12:32 PM

Taken out most ot the summer garden..tomatoes, peppers and eggplant; planted turnips, peas & beans. They will turn under for spring planting if they fail to mature due to frost. Have more Yukon potatoes to dig and sweet potatoes. Experimented with Spray & grow (internet company in Rockport, Tx) and it did help the orchard to have bigger apples, peaches & apricots. DH decided it was worth it to keep the orchard for next year and not chop the trees down.

Still looking for a source of good "poop" locally here. A horseman nearby decided to "sit" on his and not share, nor is he doing anything with it. Guess he wants to enjoy the BS, excuse me, HS smell. Lol!!

A friend discovered an area auction of certified produce; she had kept me busy canning all summer. Wonderful produce.

mariposa gal 09-12-2011 02:27 PM

We are in No. Fla., and our garden was producing until three weeks ago, so I cleaned it out and then put in a few more tomato plants along with several pepper plants. Will have lots to freeze for winter. All have blossoms on them already.

sewNso 09-12-2011 02:31 PM

michigan is winding down. we got some of the garden in really early, then planted a little along. the last of the tomatoes are on the back porch to ripen. i put up enough for us, gave a way lots. and am really glad the season is over. didn't put up tooooo much. for once.

Sew and Sew 09-12-2011 02:58 PM

Well I need to mow down the veggy garden and till. I need to put the flower beds to rest (all 6 of them) I need to.........need to...............sew......yep that one wins my to do list.....ha

denise d 09-12-2011 03:49 PM

I have a ton of tomatoes that need to turn. I just picked my first red one yesterday.

Since we have just moved into this house, I am cleaning the beds and removing the old and overgrown and preparing them for Spring. I started doing this a few months ago, because I knew it would be too much when Autumn came and majority was going to the compost heap anyway.

I have 4 pots of mint... the rest went straight to the dumpster. I did not even send it to the composter.

chickadeee55 09-12-2011 03:51 PM

Well, I heard we were suppose to get frost Wednesday night, so I will be covering the tomatoes. Hope they make it, we have alot left to ripen.

love to sew 09-12-2011 04:53 PM

I am waiting for the cooler weather to start my garden! I'm in Phoenix need I say more???

jad1044 09-12-2011 05:10 PM

I'm finally getting some tomatoes - after a long hot summer, and worms, and bugs and what not bothering them; think I got a handle on the problems now - so might get some for canning yet - mostly juice...

LAB55 09-12-2011 05:22 PM

My 2 won't go to bed until late October.

tomilu 09-12-2011 05:23 PM

45 days of 100 plus temps put mine to bed.