Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Anyone have any idea? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-have-any-idea-t268523.html)

Roberta 08-08-2015 08:01 AM

Anyone have any idea?

This is totally not related to quilting but so many folks on the Board have so many ideas I thought I'd ask anyway.

I will be going to my son's wedding next month and bought a cute dress for the rehearsal dinner. It is very wrinkled but is what I believe is called a "broomstick" dress. If I iron it, will it ruin the broomstick effect or should I just leave it alone?

This dress was a true bargain at our local Marden's store, Mainers you know what I'm talking about. I was able to get it at a huge discount and it only cost $4 so I couldn't pass it up but now I'm really not liking the wrinkled look.

If worse comes to worse, quilting material :-)

sewbizgirl 08-08-2015 08:12 AM

I think the way to straighten those is to wet them and then twist them up again. Then open and hang to air dry.

Jeanne S 08-08-2015 10:02 AM

I think sewbizgirl is right. Another method is to hang it on a hangar, spritz it with water and let it dry. I have also hung up a skirt like this in a steamy bathroom to get rid of packing wrinkles.

Onebyone 08-08-2015 10:08 AM

If you take out the wrinkle effect the extra fabric will probably balloon and sag from all seams. For $4 you haven't lost anything by trying out different ways to manipulate the fabric. Oh for the record, does anyone remember what anyone wears at weddings unless the wedding pictures are looked at. Quick, the last wedding you attended what did the mother of the groom or bride wear? LOL

ManiacQuilter2 08-08-2015 10:42 AM

I haven't had a broomstick skirt since I was in my 20s. I too think sewbizgirl is right.

crafty pat 08-08-2015 10:48 AM

My DD had a long skirt like that and the only way to keep it looking good was to wet it twist it and let it dry then shake it out very good.

Anniedeb 08-08-2015 07:30 PM

Just leave it alone...it's supposed to be wrinkled. As you said it's cute! Add some great jewelry and rock your bargain!!

earthwalker 08-08-2015 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb (Post 7280979)
Just leave it alone...it's supposed to be wrinkled. As you said it's cute! Add some great jewelry and rock your bargain!!

Yep...I have a similar dress to wear to my stepson's wedding in October, very 'hippy'/'witchy' with uneven hems. I have a cute velvet jacket my mother gave me for a birthday present to pop over the top, a beaded bag from an op shop which I am re-vamping (new lining) and all I need now is the shoes. As Anniedeb says "Rock your bargain"!

Wanabee Quiltin 08-09-2015 07:13 AM

When I had some skirts like that, I washed them and twisted them and put a rubber band on the hem so they would not unwrinkled. If you liked the dress when you bought it, why would you change it ? (My right side brain here).

rjwilder 08-09-2015 07:35 AM

It is supposed to be wrinkled, if it's not wrinkled evenly all around then wet it and twist it, then shake it out. Just add some accessories, maybe a bright statement piece, great shoes, little clutch bag and you'll look fantastic.