Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Is anyone here an expert with house plants? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/anyone-here-expert-house-plants-t192311.html)

DonnaC 06-20-2012 06:33 PM

You are all awesome! Now I can look up the details about these plants. I will try my best to keep them happy and thriving.

It amazes me the information this Board can provide to all of us!

-Donna-

bluteddi 06-20-2012 06:51 PM

in my experience....... plants from a florist go thru a a slump when u first put them in a home enviroment... I mean after all.. they are used to PERFECT TEMP , PREFECT LIGHTING, etc... they may appear to die off and then may get another healthy spurt once it adjusts to it's new living arrangments. Also, More florist plants are planted in VERY porous soil.... therefore the water drains out too quickly for the plant to really have a chance to absorb much... they tend to do well if u will repot them ( many are also root bound- so u may need slightly bigger pots) using good potting soil.

NJ Quilter 06-20-2012 07:12 PM

Just about everything you have is a low-light requirement plant. I would not recommend putting any of them in high light areas. The umbella plant is pretty finicky. Find a low-medium light area and DON'T MOVE IT. They are very picky about being moved. Otherwise, follow the other instructions you have been given.

Sandygirl 06-21-2012 03:40 AM

AND if you are not interested in holding on to them...don't feel guilty about it. You have the photos for your "memories". Donate them to someone who loves indoor plants. Your plants are pretty common ones ....I have rec'd many of them from past funeral arrangements so don't fret. Some people are gardeners and some of us...not so much! I am down to one plant and I am happy with that!

So sorry for your loss. Always hard to lose someone we love so much.
sandy

DonnaC 06-21-2012 05:40 AM

Just wanted to chime in about where I have the plants. They are on a sideboard table in front of my living room windows. That area gets afternoon sun, but I have mini-blinds on those windows which are left closed all day. I open them when I get home after work. So, the plants are getting some diffused light during the day, and a little bit of sun in the afternoon. It seems like I'm okay with that scenario.

Also, I have already repotted all of the plants using just a standard indoor potting soil. The only thing I haven't done is added any type of fertilizer. In the past, it seems like any plant to which I've added those fertilizing spikes has had a short life (!), so I'm a little hesitant on that!

joyce j 06-21-2012 06:21 AM

Dont know names of plants .but I do know how to over water or under water. joyce j

Cheshirecatquilter 06-21-2012 06:51 AM

The last one looks to be an (English) ivy. It's amazing what they can bounce back from. Here's just one site I found using "ivy houseplant care" to search. If it gets covered with what looks like dense spider web and teensy little dots (insects), feel free to toss it, as they are spider mites, and are the devil to get rid of.

blondeslave 06-21-2012 07:20 AM

The next to last is a type of fern but I can't remember which one and the last looks like an ivy to me.

Chasing Hawk 06-21-2012 09:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Get some plant food spikes, you can get these at Wally World, Ace Hardware, Home Depot or Lowe's. A fool proof way to keep them fed. You can also get a moisture monitor for the soil.

Here is some of my plants.......

I also have a plant light commonly used in a greenhouse.

quiltsRfun 06-21-2012 10:01 AM

The main thing with houseplants is getting the right light and not over or underwatering. Try to find a spot in your house with similar light to where your mom had them. Water the soil when the soil is dry to the touch and don't allow them to sit in any water that collects in the saucers. And don't over fertilize. Read the instructions on any you might use and follow closely.