Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Attempted to make a crocheted tee shirt rug (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/attempted-make-crocheted-tee-shirt-rug-t265661.html)

Suz 05-26-2015 12:43 PM

Attempted to make a crocheted tee shirt rug
 
I cut up the tees as suggested and made my yarn. I have several suggestions if you decide to make one of these rugs. Cut off any side seams and restitch on your sewing machine by laying atop the other. If you keep the original tee seams, they are very bulky, making it hard to crochet same and they are just plain ugly. Most of mine were serged in a contrasting color: i.e., green tee with white stitching.

The strips were to be 2". I think 1-1/2" would have been better.

You have to tie two yarns together. Again, very bulky and ugly. The rug will have big lumps at the ties.

Needless to say, I was not happy with the results and have abandoned the project.

tessagin 05-26-2015 01:06 PM

My girl friend crochets tee rugs. She stitches the ends then crochets. She cuts her strips 1" wide.

ckcowl 05-26-2015 01:32 PM

I also cut my strips 1" wide and sew them together end to end over lap about 1/4" and zigzag. Not to bulky, turns out pretty nice.

bearisgray 05-26-2015 01:45 PM

Do you cut the strips so the length goes with the stretchier way or the less stretchy way?

Tartan 05-26-2015 02:31 PM

​Rather then tiring the strips together, you cut a slit in the end if one strip and do a loop through it. Check YouTube they show how to do it. It knots but the knots are less bulky.

Girlfriend 05-27-2015 01:51 AM


Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7207719)
​Rather then tiring the strips together, you cut a slit in the end if one strip and do a loop through it. Check YouTube they show how to do it. It knots but the knots are less bulky.

That's how I do it, too.

bearisgray 05-27-2015 06:42 AM

If I was sewing strips together, I would use a diagonal join like many people use for their binding strips.

madamekelly 05-27-2015 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Suz (Post 7207661)
I cut up the tees as suggested and made my yarn. I have several suggestions if you decide to make one of these rugs. Cut off any side seams and restitch on your sewing machine by laying atop the other. If you keep the original tee seams, they are very bulky, making it hard to crochet same and they are just plain ugly. Most of mine were serged in a contrasting color: i.e., green tee with white stitching.

The strips were to be 2". I think 1-1/2" would have been better.

You have to tie two yarns together. Again, very bulky and ugly. The rug will have big lumps at the ties.

Needless to say, I was not happy with the results and have abandoned the project.

Spend some time on youtube, there is one rag rug, or Tshirt rug video that shows how to cut the Tshirt so you have long strips, but no seams, and how to connect the strips with no lumpy knots. I tried it last night, and got it to work pretty good except I was working with left over binding strips cut in half lengthwise.

CMARAS1234 05-27-2015 04:05 PM

What they are showing on u tube as weaving on a frame rugs made with t shirts.IS actually called twinning from the pioneer days and i use to demonstrate it on EARTH DAYS.Very old art . cmaras1234

Geri B 05-28-2015 05:15 AM


Originally Posted by CMARAS1234 (Post 7208782)
What they are showing on u tube as weaving on a frame rugs made with t shirts.IS actually called twinning from the pioneer days and i use to demonstrate it on EARTH DAYS.Very old art . cmaras1234

Where on YouTube....


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:48 AM.



SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.