Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Attempted to make a crocheted tee shirt rug

Suz

Attempted to make a crocheted tee shirt rug

I cut up the tees as suggested and made my yarn. I have several suggestions if you decide to make one of these rugs. Cut off any side seams and restitch on your sewing machine by laying atop the other. If you keep the original tee seams, they are very bulky, making it hard to crochet same and they are just plain ugly. Most of mine were serged in a contrasting color: i.e., green tee with white stitching.

The strips were to be 2". I think 1-1/2" would have been better.

You have to tie two yarns together. Again, very bulky and ugly. The rug will have big lumps at the ties.

Needless to say, I was not happy with the results and have abandoned the project.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    My girl friend crochets tee rugs. She stitches the ends then crochets. She cuts her strips 1" wide.

Blog Entries
    I also cut my strips 1" wide and sew them together end to end over lap about 1/4" and zigzag. Not to bulky, turns out pretty nice.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    Do you cut the strips so the length goes with the stretchier way or the less stretchy way?

Power Poster
    ​Rather then tiring the strips together, you cut a slit in the end if one strip and do a loop through it. Check YouTube they show how to do it. It knots but the knots are less bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    ​Rather then tiring the strips together, you cut a slit in the end if one strip and do a loop through it. Check YouTube they show how to do it. It knots but the knots are less bulky.
    That's how I do it, too.
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Power Poster
    If I was sewing strips together, I would use a diagonal join like many people use for their binding strips.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I cut up the tees as suggested and made my yarn. I have several suggestions if you decide to make one of these rugs. Cut off any side seams and restitch on your sewing machine by laying atop the other. If you keep the original tee seams, they are very bulky, making it hard to crochet same and they are just plain ugly. Most of mine were serged in a contrasting color: i.e., green tee with white stitching.

The strips were to be 2". I think 1-1/2" would have been better.

You have to tie two yarns together. Again, very bulky and ugly. The rug will have big lumps at the ties.

Needless to say, I was not happy with the results and have abandoned the project.
    Spend some time on youtube, there is one rag rug, or Tshirt rug video that shows how to cut the Tshirt so you have long strips, but no seams, and how to connect the strips with no lumpy knots. I tried it last night, and got it to work pretty good except I was working with left over binding strips cut in half lengthwise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    What they are showing on u tube as weaving on a frame rugs made with t shirts.IS actually called twinning from the pioneer days and i use to demonstrate it on EARTH DAYS.Very old art . cmaras1234
    "I do not understand ,how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to" ( and mine is my summer houseboat on a beautiful KY lake.) quote by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Quote Originally Posted by CMARAS1234 View Post
    What they are showing on u tube as weaving on a frame rugs made with t shirts.IS actually called twinning from the pioneer days and i use to demonstrate it on EARTH DAYS.Very old art . cmaras1234
    Where on YouTube....

Suz
    The side seams on some of the tees are actual seams using a serger, i.e, a straight stitch seam and then the serged edge or approx. 1/4". These are the ugly seams/knots I first mentioned. And when one stretches the "yarn" these seams curl to the outside, thus they show up when crocheting. So when selecting old tees, look for the ones that are made from "tube-like" fabric that have no seams.

To make the "yarn" continuous, one of the demos shows to lay the tee flat with the bottom hems aligned. Cut off the bottom hem and then fold the tee in half lengthwise less 1". When cutting using the rotary cutter, do not cut thru the 1". Cut across all the way up to the underarm. W/scissors cut at an angle between the rows to make a continuous strip.

I have since pulled out the rug I attempted to make, cut off the "uglies" and will try again.

Thank you all for your responses and links. You have been so helpful.