Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keurig ?????

Keurig ?????

Go to make the cup of.....cup is empty - so I unplug, turn upside down to,drain, get the vinegar, do the flush out...little grains of coffee come out...do it three times, then water flush......then finally coffee......I have had this gift to me for yr and half, 2/3cups per day, clean monthly, but this last time I had cleaned it last week and had to again this morning....this is the small version, one cup at a time, no reservoir ..........am a bit disappointed in my purchase...why each time I clean it these tiny specks of grounds at bottom of cup........I may have to go buy a 4 cup mr. Coffee and wave bye-bye to this " thing". Anyone here have this same situation....what am I missing in the cleaning process?????

Blog Entries
    Don't have that one -I have the big one which was a Christmas gift 2 years ago. I runs good when I choose to purchase the expensive cups and pay top dollar for a cup of coffee at home. I know, I did get the little baskets that I can fill myself but I just can't get the coffee brew that I want. I'm with you, just brew it the old fashined way and forget it!

When my regular coffee maker does this, it's when I have accidentally splashed some water into where the coffee goes when I'm trying to fill the water reservoir. Are you doing this maybe? I bought the Hamilton Beach model for Christmas, and she loves it.

dd
    I just received a used one and had all kinds of problems. They told me to unplug and use a safety pin or paper clip and poke in the holes in the bottom of the K-cup holder then go to the needle in the top and push it into the little holes around the needle. Ok that worked. So I filled it with vinegar. Then it would say brewing but nothing came out. Called back to Keurig. They went through more steps with me and still the same, Brewing but no water. She put me on hold and when she came back she was sending me a whole new unit. This was a large one that isn't made any more. She overnighted me a top of the line 2.0 model. Don't do it. The 2.0 will only brew the new Keurig K-cup. It has a code on the top label that the machine reads before it brews. Gave it to the kids last night. So try poking around at yours. Oh, also let the vinegar sit in the guts of the machine for 4 hours to be sure all the white lime deposits are dissolved. put it in let it start to run thru and turn it off so it sits "in" the machine for a while. Mine said to only use bottled water, not tap water. We have well water and I knew that wasn't good for it. Kids live in town.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Keurig is to rich for my blood and coffee never is strong enough. I prefer strong coffee to coffee looking and tasting like weak tea. if I fix myself a cup of tea, I use 2 bags. Then put into a baggie into freezer for later uses.

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    I just received a used one and had all kinds of problems. They told me to unplug and use a safety pin or paper clip and poke in the holes in the bottom of the K-cup holder then go to the needle in the top and push it into the little holes around the needle. Ok that worked. So I filled it with vinegar. Then it would say brewing but nothing came out. Called back to Keurig. They went through more steps with me and still the same, Brewing but no water. She put me on hold and when she came back she was sending me a whole new unit. This was a large one that isn't made any more. She overnighted me a top of the line 2.0 model. Don't do it. The 2.0 will only brew the new Keurig K-cup. It has a code on the top label that the machine reads before it brews. Gave it to the kids last night. So try poking around at yours. Oh, also let the vinegar sit in the guts of the machine for 4 hours to be sure all the white lime deposits are dissolved. put it in let it start to run thru and turn it off so it sits "in" the machine for a while. Mine said to only use bottled water, not tap water. We have well water and I knew that wasn't good for it. Kids live in town.
    We have the 2.0 and there is a work around so you don't have to buy just their cups. I cut the top off of a cup that had the code and just put it on the top of the other cups. Since then I discovered there are better ways. Just google workaround for the 2.0. Also, you need to just run hot water through the dispenser periodically to rinse it. Love ours.

I'm not a fan of these machines myself. Have to use them when traveling as that seems to be what all the hotels have migrated to. Also use them at dad's house and some vacation places. Way too expensive as I drink about 1/2 pot/morning as well as the 'weak' taste - regardless of blend - to me. I stick with the good old drip makers. I've even gone really cheap with these any more as the really expensive ones don't seem to last any longer than the cheapies.

dd
    Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post

The kids were talking about that yesterday. Said it was all over the internet because no one wants to buy the expensive cups. They still took it and gave me their old little one. Not sure why they thought I needed it but I have it. At least they thought of me. Was very impressed with K's customer service though. I even told them I had received it used and they didn't blink to replace it.

Not sure why it did that but this was in response to Misty's Mom.
    Last edited by dd; 05-26-2015 at 06:17 AM. Reason: loading
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Since I posted my start to this thread, I cruised around internet and found a "few" sites of troubleshooting/aids......I did the poke the hole with clean paper clip. And yes that did seem to loosen up some stuck grounds.....my question is also, how do grounds get in those places? Anyway, seems there are a lot of disgruntled ex-users......and apparently when one calls customer service, they usually just send a new one!!!! Did finally get my cuppa. Now I will pour more vinegar in and let it set for few hours, then flush again......and in the meantime go down in the storage section of basement and search for my old mr coffee 4 cupper......hope I didn't sell it at last garage sale!!!!!!

Btw...I don't buy the K brand pods....Walmart generic are good......tried using my own coffee in baskets, but for some reason it doesn't taste as good in K as it did in Mr C.........

Live and learn.......

I love our Keurig. I bought three when Sam's Club had a special buy on them three years ago. I gave each of my DDs one. All three are still working great. They have a filter that has to be changed about every three months. I buy those at Walmart six filters in a package. I buy the K cups at Sams' Club in the case for DH's brand of coffee. I buy from Brad's Deals when the K Kups are on special buy one box get one free and free shipping up to 8 boxes at a time. Lots of special buys fro K Kups listed all the time from coffee manufacturers, even Starbucks that my girls like. I never buy the box of cups at the grocery store. Way over priced compared to the online sales.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I've had 4 keriug's, always a step up...everyone of them quit working before a year old. We went back to a drip maker. I think the well water had a lot to do with it. Although we had the latest one and used only bottled water and couldn't get a full cup of coffee, even the pot would stop at half.

Blog Entries
    I have the large one and have had it for way over 4 yrs. Love it and use it a lot. Never had to do extensive cleaning like that on mine.
    Judy

Keurig is too rich for my budget so I got a Mr Coffee. Love it!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

We drink a pot of coffee a day.
    I use to buy Bunn coffee makers, had about three, I loved I could make a full pot in 45 seconds. I hated to clean it, after the vinegar went through. Had to rinse with 10 pots of water to make sure the reserve tank was rinsed out too. After the last developed a hole in the reserve tank.
    I went and bought a plain jane Mr Coffee. When I run the vinegar through I run 2 pots of water to rinse it and I'm done for a month. Much cheaper than Bunn and a lot less work.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I love my Keurig - I have the 48 ounce one - it has worked very well for about a year and half. I do have filtered water for the house and use that. So deposits have not been an issue. When we travel I use bottled water to make coffee because I am now spoiled. Since I am the only one at my house that drinks hot tea and coffee it works very well for me. And I even order from Keurig when they have their specials - because their boxes of coffee have 24 cups (instead of 16) and free shipping. Also, they have sampler packs so I can try different coffees and teas.

Blog Entries
    I Love my Keurig! I have the same one Geri B stated she has, no reservoir, 1 cup at a time. It was 3 years old in February. I've not had any problems. I clean it about every 3 months, drink 2 cups a day and some days a mocha or cappuccino in the afternoon.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use the Keurig cleaning solution and it does a great job of descaling and no after taste after rinsing out. I use it when the water flow gets slower about once a year. I think the one with the filter keeps the inside from clogging up.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

FYI. My DGD takes the coded lid off the cups and puts them on top of the reg cups. She says it works well.
    Happy Quilting Grandma of 15, 3 Greats

I have three of them: bought one, it crashed and burned within three months; got po'd, called Keurig, they sent me another. IT crashed and burned within four months. They sent me another. That one worked all of two months, crashed, burned, ain't going back that way no more! What do I use now? I grind my coffee, put it into a Mr.Coffee old-time grounds holder with a filter, set it in my mug, boil water and pour it over the coffee grounds and Wal-La! three minutes later a fresh cuppa and no hassle! No more Keurig for this old gal...this brew is better and I know exactly what I'm getting...every time!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    We have had ours for a couple of years now, and have never had any cleaning problems. We do have filtered water so that may make a difference.

Blog Entries
    Take it back from wherever you bought it. A friend had one replaced 3 times. She had problems with the pump. Our Keurig is totally noisy, but works okay. Better than an alarm clock. Our friend had to take hers back too. She finally bought a different brand. AND it's quiet! The store didn't argue at all...months later and without a receipt. Makes a person wonder how they stay in business, sometimes.
    Last edited by coopah; 05-27-2015 at 03:53 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

There are some cleanliness issues with this type of coffee maker apparently.,I don't know, but I don't want to buy the individual packages so I don't have one. I have become hooked on my small French press. I use one scoop of coffee grounds and it make the nice strong coffee I like. I buy Trader Joe's French roast and it is perfect. Hubby likes a milder blend, so I have their medium roast for him and we both get the single cup,concept for far less. I also went back to using a Farberware perculator for company as the coffee is much hotter. Ya know,sometimes the old way is the best way.

No matter what flavor I use, it seems the coffee made in the Keurig is bitter. What am I doing wrong?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    No matter what flavor I use, it seems the coffee made in the Keurig is bitter. What am I doing wrong?

Add a pinch or two of salt...after it's brewed. It's what my grandmother did and Mom still does. I only drink tea, so have no clue if it really works.
    Last edited by coopah; 05-27-2015 at 04:00 AM.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I just love our Keurig. I buy the little cups at sams or costco. Way less money! I only drink one or two cups in the am, so hoping it will last for years. We have the 2.0. I have a descaling product that should be used to keep it clean and monthly filter changes. The coffee tastes like it comes from starbucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast