Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Attic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/attic-t247346.html)

orchidsews 05-25-2014 01:44 AM

Attic

The attic is my woman cave,but a/c does not seem to 'make it' that far very well,so hunny is checking into those portable a/c. Any one have those or another solution? I asked about checking duct work and got the 3-eyed look :shock:

Sandygirl 05-25-2014 02:35 AM

I have the same set up. Hot air rises! Ductwork is not going to help. I have a window A/C in my space. It is in the adjoining room but it works for me. I bought a new one last summer. It has a remote control....who knew?! You do need to make sure that the BTU's support the size of the area.

When outside temps get up there later in the summer, i put a small fan in front of the air conditioner to help push the cool air into the next room.

Hopefully I will be moving my sewing room into the next room if my DH puts his hobby in the newly waterproofed basement!

Sandy.

QuiltnNan 05-25-2014 02:44 AM

i'm thinking of getting one of those, too. i was just wondering about the humidity. the old window a/c's dripped water outside. does water accumulate in the machine on the floor that would need to be emptied?

elseebee 05-25-2014 03:35 AM

My hubby bought me one for my sewing room, which is in the basement. Mine has a heater element, too. He made a small wooden stand for it to keep it off the carpet just in case it leaked, but it has a water pan in the bottom that he empties occasionally and there's been no overflow problem. Since these units vent out through a tube to the window, be sure you check around the window for air leaking in. A small piece of insulation will take care of any problem. I love mine and was able to get in my sewing room all through our very cold winter. In a few weeks when July is miserable, I'll switch to air-conditioning!

Tartan 05-25-2014 04:32 AM

Check the voltage it will need and it sounds like a good solution.

Sandygirl 05-25-2014 07:59 AM

No , the window a/c does not leak in the room. I love mine!

sandy

Sandygirl 05-25-2014 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by elseebee (Post 6730166)
My hubby bought me one for my sewing room, which is in the basement. Mine has a heater element, too. He made a small wooden stand for it to keep it off the carpet just in case it leaked, but it has a water pan in the bottom that he empties occasionally and there's been no overflow problem. Since these units vent out through a tube to the window, be sure you check around the window for air leaking in. A small piece of insulation will take care of any problem. I love mine and was able to get in my sewing room all through our very cold winter. In a few weeks when July is miserable, I'll switch to air-conditioning!

dang! Wish mine had a heater element too! Learn something new every day!

i just turn on my iron to heat up my room LOL!
sandy

heronlady 05-25-2014 04:43 PM

The room where I sew does not get any airflow through the one register in the room. Two different heating/cooling companies could not determine why. My husband found online for about $60 a register cover that incorporates two small fans which literally suck air up through the duct and into the room. It has a small on/off switch on the register cover, which I turn to "on" when I'm in the room working, and I turn it off when the room isn't being used. It plugs in to a nearby wall receptacle. Works like a charm and impact on the utility bill is undetectable. Google Airflow Industries.
Maybe this would work for you.

Jingle 05-25-2014 10:19 PM

I have a small window A/C unit in my sewing room. It cools very well,

Stitchit123 05-26-2014 08:03 AM

My sister has one of those portable A/C's . Her house was gigantic 3bds - 3 baths, off of an open span LR and kitchen and the house was 80ft wide by 60ft deep with 24ft Cathedral ceilings and I was shocked that that small machine kept her house very cool. Her electric bill went down by almost $300. a month by not using her central air unit. I am not a fan of AC but if I was I'd get one.