Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Awkward words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/awkward-words-t280321.html)

sewbizgirl 07-26-2016 02:45 PM

One of my peeves in sewing communities (like this one, ahem ahem...) is to hear the word "embroidery" used as a verb. Such as, "I'm going to embroidery it." NO, you are going to embroider it. Embroidery (a noun) is what you will have when you get done embroidering (verb).

I also think it's funny when you hear people referring to the troops on horseback as the "calvary" (where Jesus died) when they mean "cavalry. Hubby and I love the old black and white Gunsmoke episodes on the Western channel, but the other night we heard both Chester Good and Matt Dillon refer to the cavalry as the calvary.

Those who pronounce the L in salmon, better rethink it. It's not right. I always think of salmonella when I hear that L pronounced. They can eat their salmonella, but I'll take the sammon! :D

b.zang 07-26-2016 03:13 PM

Thirteen pages, and I've laughed my way through all of them! This is a hilarious thread that takes me back to my training as an English as a Foreign Language teacher. We had to dissect grammar just to qualify for the course, then argued our way heartily through various pronunciations and word usages as we practiced creating phonetic sentences for our students. Mind you, we were a diverse group of speakers hailing from New Zealand, England, Canada and USA with regional differences thrown into that mix.

Here is what I hear happening that makes me fear another grammatical shift - people using "is" instead of "are". And I hear if often. "There is lots of reasons why to vote for (candidate)" or "When's people showing up for the party". Most often it's used as a contraction.

And, I worked with an English teacher who banned the word "got" in all forms from student writing. His fervor developed an appreciation in me for the more descriptive alternatives and I feel an inner cringe when I get lazy.

LOLOL - Lots Of Laughing Out Loud - ha, ha.

mike'sgirl 07-28-2016 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by carolaiken (Post 7599362)
I too hate the word panties. My grandmother called panties "step ins" which comes from the 1920's when short Flapper dresses where in style. I loved that term and have always used it. My mom spent my childhood years saying, "it's underwear, it's underwear."

My granny also said " step ins". Never knew why!
My word is exacerbate vs exaggerate. I say the latter instead of the former.

Peckish 07-30-2016 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7611914)
One of my peeves in sewing communities (like this one, ahem ahem...) is to hear the word "embroidery" used as a verb. Such as, "I'm going to embroidery it." NO, you are going to embroider it.

YES!!! This drives me nuts also!!

ptquilts 07-31-2016 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7611914)
One of my peeves in sewing communities (like this one, ahem ahem...) is to hear the word "embroidery" used as a verb. Such as, "I'm going to embroidery it." NO, you are going to embroider it. Embroidery (a noun) is what you will have when you get done embroidering (verb).

These are probably the same people who say laundry when they mean launder - I laundried the quilt.

bearisgray 08-01-2016 05:33 AM

As long as there is minimal "slippage" between what is said and what is understood - - - - -

LavenderBlue 08-01-2016 06:02 AM

...and border spelled "boarder" UGH