Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Awkward words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/awkward-words-t280321.html)

coopah 07-11-2016 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ (Post 7599062)
Is there such a word as "clost"? (as in "close to me") My DH swears the word is valid, I say it isn't. I've heard it on TV by national news anchors, and I just cringe. I hate that word!

Never heard of 'clost'. Don't use "bough ten," either. I used it in a paper for an English class as a senior in HS. The paper was red-lined and scribbled with a rant about that word. Guess it struck a nerve with the instructor, but I don't use that word. Ever.

Conartist1945 07-11-2016 05:04 AM

I hate the expression "I seen"

ManiacQuilter2 07-11-2016 05:07 AM

Interesting question. I don't think I ever use the word unless it is the say " to whom it may concern".

tessagin 07-11-2016 05:13 AM

Thanks, zozee that clears up a lot. I don't have too much trouble with most but "whom" always was a bit of a stumper. One I see often and that is the difference between "have and of" I could of is seen often when should be could have. Easier to break down when have is hyphenated like "could've". And clincher is I see many journalists using "could of" instead of could've or could have".

tessagin 07-11-2016 05:21 AM

I have a relative and love her dearly, who uses the word "tooken" spell check wants to keep changing it. Anyway I keep telling her it's taken but she can say some one "took" it instead. I gave up on it. Then her boyfriend told her what I said was correct. Also "boughten" nope just say bought or purchased and no "buyed" isn't correct either.

waltonalice 07-11-2016 05:47 AM

Dunster probably diagrammed sentences as a kid. The clause, "whoever won't waste it," is the object of the preposition, but, within the clause, "who" is the doer of the action/subject of the verb, so you use "who [subject form]" rather than "whom [object form of pronoun]." When you see the diagram of the sentence, it's easier to see the purpose that the pronoun is performing and to choose the correct version of the pronoun.

tessagin 07-11-2016 05:59 AM

Yep same here and I hated diagramming.

Originally Posted by waltonalice (Post 7599220)
Dunster probably diagrammed sentences as a kid. The clause, "whoever won't waste it," is the object of the preposition, but, within the clause, "who" is the doer of the action/subject of the verb, so you use "who [subject form]" rather than "whom [object form of pronoun]." When you see the diagram of the sentence, it's easier to see the purpose that the pronoun is performing and to choose the correct version of the pronoun.

AZ Jane 07-11-2016 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by tapper (Post 7599069)
Not an awkward word in terms of where to use it but one that is awkward for me.
I like the sound of the word 'specific' but have trouble pronouncing it. It tangles my tongue and comes out 'pacific'.

We must be related!!!! It's the only word I have issued with except medical terms.

marge954 07-11-2016 09:06 AM

When I have to use lay or lie (as in down) I can't remember which to use. Growing up in the south you learn to mangle the English language so if I use the wrong word or mispronounce a word I don't even worry about it.

marge954 07-11-2016 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 7599158)
Farther relates to actual distance - I walked farther than you.
Further is for everything else. I am further along in the quilt making process.

That is my understanding anyway.

I always want to mis-spell occasion as occassion. Have to watch myself.

I also hate the word panties, as well as many of the modern "words" that have popped up, like vacay, sammie, etc.

I too hate the word panties. My grandmother called panties "step ins" which comes from the 1920's when short Flapper dresses where in style. I loved that term and have always used it. My mom spent my childhood years saying, "it's underwear, it's underwear."