Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Back issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/back-issues-t153837.html)

carolaug 09-18-2011 03:09 AM

How many of you have back issues that keep you from quilting? My back has been giving me problems. I have so many quilting projects that I want to get done but my stupid back has been hurting. Hoping it will get better quickly...very time I think its ok I start a project and i am hurting again...

PATTIESPEARL 09-18-2011 03:41 AM

bACKACHES HAVE BEEN THE STORY OF MY LIFE FOR 41 YEARS!i HAD MY FIRST BACK SURGERY AT 27. THEY TOLD ME 22 YEARS AGO AFTER MY 5TH BACK SURGERY THAT I WOULD HAVE TO LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.I CAN NOT TAKE PAIN KILLERS, SO I LIVE WITH IT THE BEST THAT I CAN.

patricej 09-18-2011 03:44 AM

my mother was a great believer in good posture. it has turned out that she was right.

i am always more comfortable for longer periods of time when i can sit up straight while working on projects.

take a long, hard look at your work space. is everything at a comfortable height for you?

i have my own machine sitting on a raised surface.

whenever possible, i do my cutting on my ironing board or kitchen counter. (i bought a wooden cutting board, with a 12" x 18" mat to use on the ironing board.)

start with options that won't cost any money. if necessary, consider getting a shoulder brace that will help you train yourself to sit up as straight as possible. it will almost certainly make a huge difference. :-)

grann of 6 09-18-2011 04:06 AM

I agree with Patrice. My mother used to tell me, "If you can't BE tall, STAND tall." I always think of this when my back gets tired. I try to sit tall when I am sewing. My issues are not so much my back as my sciatic nerve in my hip. I have had this problem since my 45 year old son was born and they hit the nerve when giving me an intramuscular shot. I can't sit too long at one time. That is why I move around a lot when sewing, sew, iron, sew.

Glassquilt 09-18-2011 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
My mother used to tell me, "If you can't BE tall, STAND tall."

"Sit proud." Heard on a ranch camp that had horseback riding.

Susabella29 09-18-2011 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
How many of you have back issues that keep you from quilting? My back has been giving me problems. I have so many quilting projects that I want to get done but my stupid back has been hurting. Hoping it will get better quickly...very time I think its ok I start a project and i am hurting again...

I find that I hurt my back if I am not wearing a good supportive shoes or sneakers and if my table is too low. I use a craft table at home which is high enough and I use those lifts for the bed that you can get at Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc, probably Bed, Bath and Beyond, when my table is not available. I also use the "Body-Rite, Posture Pleaser" which is a counterweight that helps me remember not to stoop over whatever I am doing. We need to take care of our backs to make quilting a fun endeaver

Chicca 09-18-2011 05:47 AM

I have recently found out that I have arthritis in my lower back and upper left thigh....I am in pain all of the time. I do not want to give up quilting, but have to learn how to adjust my time limits and sitting postures. It is very frustrating, so I understand what you are saying. I hope that you can find a way to balance the pain and quilting.

PurplePassion 09-18-2011 06:18 AM

Have you ever been to a Chiropractor? I go whenever my back and shoulders start bothering me. I get adjusted and feel like working again.

New Quilter 09-18-2011 07:36 AM

As soon as the cold weather returns my back seems to hurt more and more...old age? arthritis...yep!!! Naomi

Prism99 09-18-2011 09:04 AM

I had back issues for 30 or so years. FINALLY my doctor sent me to a pain clinic. They analyzed my MRI, then had me come in twice a week for about 7 weeks to exercise on their specialized equipment that strengthens specific back muscles. I have not had a problem since (5+ years)! And my MRI showed multiple problems with discs, stenosis, etc. (probably still does).