Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bad news for me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bad-news-me-t19710.html)

genghis khan 05-04-2009 05:20 AM

Well this has to come out at some point. I was let go from my job friday as part of some restructuring thing my boss is doing he said it had nothing to do with me or my performace but that i was being let go later i find out from my manager who has given his two weeks notice that he my boss is looking to hire lower wage people this for some reason didnt surprise me he has been complaining of money woes for some time despite the fact that we wer busy. well i filed for unemployment for today and financially ill be ok i just wanted to let friends here know whats going on with me. I guess there is a bright side to this ill have plenty of sewing time for now and time to do projects around the house. this still makes me kinda sad though i didnt exactly like my job and there wer inherent risks involved with it but it was framiliar to me and i liked my co-workers well enough about this just thought my friends here should know where im at. Chris

sewjoyce 05-04-2009 05:23 AM

More time for sewing and okay financially???? Sounds like a win-win situation to me :wink: :wink:

(Are you sure your boss can lay you off and then hire someone to take your place at a cheaper rate??????? You might want to look into your legal options also....)

chairjogger 05-04-2009 05:29 AM

So sorry for loosing your job. You are making lemonade with a sour thing happening.

Good luck to you !!
Ellen

Piedmont Quilter 05-04-2009 05:38 AM

So sorry to hear about your job lose. Although, more time for sewing sounds great :D :D I would run the laying off and re-hiring at a lower rate by the Labor Board just to see what they say. That is not good business practice and the Labor Board or BBB should be made aware of this.

Piedmont Quilter
Rebecca

Bevanger 05-04-2009 05:47 AM

I'm sorry to hear this but it sure doesn't sound right that he's hiring someone for cheapier wages. grrrrrrr well if you have more time to sew and money is ok. i'd say your gonna be ok girl :D

genghis khan 05-04-2009 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I'm sorry to hear this but it sure doesn't sound right that he's hiring someone for cheapier wages. grrrrrrr well if you have more time to sew and money is ok. i'd say your gonna be ok girl :D

Guy! lol :)

kwhite 05-04-2009 05:53 AM

Welcome to the club GK. I was laid off in Nov due to "downsizing" yet they had two interviews that morning for new hires. There is nothing out there in my neck of the woods. I don't know what I will do when unemployment ends. God will provide.

sharon b 05-04-2009 06:06 AM

Chris I am so sorry to hear this news, and unfortunatley I think it will get worse before it gets better. Count your blessings that you can make it on the unemployment, there are many who can't. And we will be looking forward to seeing so many more of your projects ! :lol: See this is me waiting :shock: LOL Now get sewing and pounding
Sharon

shaverg 05-04-2009 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
More time for sewing and okay financially???? Sounds like a win-win situation to me :wink: :wink:

(Are you sure your boss can lay you off and then hire someone to take your place at a cheaper rate??????? You might want to look into your legal options also....)

Sew Joyce is right. But, the way they get around this is to retitle the job and description, which many companies are doing right now. If what they are saying is true, why would they have not offered you a pay cut to stay, which many companies are doing right now.

If you have past reviews showing you were doing your job. I think you should go to your local labor board.

Kyiav10 05-04-2009 06:55 AM

Chris, I am so sorry to hear about your job loss. My thoughts are with you. Please let us know if you need anything.

Kyia :(