Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bait for fruit flies??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bait-fruit-flies-t118012.html)

Kim Bohannon 06-27-2011 05:54 PM

you can minimize fruit flies by washing your fruit as soon as you bring it home, doesn't completely take care of the problem, but helps a lot

QuiltE 06-27-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I put beer in a shallow dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and put a few needle holes in the plastic wrap. The fruit flies go in through the holes to get at the beer and then can't get out. I get rid of them and they go off into the next life in a good mood!

And you are in a good mood, from drinking the rest of the beer!! :)

CircleSquare 06-27-2011 08:07 PM

LOL! I did find the total answer to the fruit fly problem and it wasn't any of these "home remedies." None of them worked, but I bought a gadget from our local Ace Hardware and it got rid of them all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carron 06-27-2011 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I put beer in a shallow dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and put a few needle holes in the plastic wrap. The fruit flies go in through the holes to get at the beer and then can't get out. I get rid of them and they go off into the next life in a good mood!

That is too funny. lol

dsb38327 06-28-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by CircleSquare
LOL! I did find the total answer to the fruit fly problem and it wasn't any of these "home remedies." None of them worked, but I bought a gadget from our local Ace Hardware and it got rid of them all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm in. Photo's and the name of your gadget please..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CircleSquare 06-28-2011 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know the name of it. The brand is HotShot. At the bottom it says "Contains Dichlorvos". It has no odor. I just put it on the back of my kitchen counter. Occasionally I find a dead fruit fly on the counter. I think you can buy a refil for it - not sure, because my husband bought it and unwrapped it when I was not home. It really works.

craftybear 06-28-2011 05:00 PM

thanks will look for that gadget at the store

SharBear 06-28-2011 05:36 PM

I put an empty bottle on the counter with apple cider vinegar in it -then take a paper plate and form a funnel - tape it to the bottle so there's a good seal. Fruit flies get in but they can't get out.

Might try beer next time - seems pretty humane to me!

luckylindy333 06-28-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327

Okay, I'm in. Photo's and the name of your gadget please..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

We are going to have to put ours out- it holds some liquid in the bottom that you get in packets from them...

slk350 06-28-2011 05:55 PM

I remember seeing cut up fruit up on a shelf where the fruit for sale was at a local supermarket. I guess the idea was to make the flies go to the cut up fruit and it seemed to work. You just have keep it away from the "real fruit".