Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bank of America Scam Alert Just Happened (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bank-america-scam-alert-just-happened-t249738.html)

cricket_iscute 07-09-2014 08:13 AM

Are you talking about Shop Safe at BOA?

Thanks for the alert!!

cashs_mom 07-09-2014 08:57 AM

I got a phone call that was similar to that. It told me that with "my credit card". It didn't specify which card. It gave a number, which was not a number for any of our cards, to call. When I called, I just got a recording asking for my credit card number (again it did not specify which card) so I hung up. I googled the phone number and it was evidently a scammer who had hit a lot of people. My friend here at work also got a similar scam in an email. You have to be really careful anymore!

Chasing Hawk 07-09-2014 09:15 AM

Our bank keeps close tabs on our account. If anything is remotely phishy they shut down the card effected.
I usually call in to the 800 line or go into the bank itself to get it all straightened out. I don't use our cell phone to conduct financial business in case it is ever lost or stolen. Although I still carry one of those old flip phones...lol

And the laptop never has any personal or financial information on it either. Since we take it with us when we travel and use the wifi provided by the hotel.

IshtarsMom 07-09-2014 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute (Post 6792829)
Are you talking about Shop Safe at BOA?

Thanks for the alert!!

Yes...I don't much get into the banking stuff so I don't know the exact terms for online banking and credit cards..after all the years until we retired I did it...then I said it's yours...probably could figure it out if I had to..will cross that bridge...LOL

Caswews 07-09-2014 05:45 PM

Its scary for anyone .. A friend's Dad was scammed into mailing 950.00 in cash so he could get a new car. WHAT ? The postmistress (its a small town) noticed what he was doing and immediately called my friend to tell him and notified the USPS security.
Sad ... people have to earn their monies the dishonest way in life !

betty32084 07-10-2014 05:22 AM

I have had an account with Bank of America a very long time, twice now they have called me and informed me I would be getting a new debit card,as they felt like my account was being compromised. It was a legit call .(they asked for the last 4 numbers of my S S for verification purposes only) Someone tried to do a debit for $400.00 more than my balance was, so that was their clue.(I don't over draft my budget) I checked the number on my caller I D ,and it was a legit call. 2 days later,received my card in the mail. So many people here complain about BOA ,because they don't have free checking,and high interest rates. I'm not going to change banks from a bank that protects me like that.

ManiacQuilter2 07-10-2014 06:11 AM

YES!! We ALL have to remember that banks, and others with cards such as PayPal will NEVER ask for your password. YOU have a smart husband!!

Carol Ann 07-10-2014 06:34 AM

Thank you for posting. I don't deal with Bank of America but, my son who's overseas does. There are so many scams today, you don't know whom to trust. Some of the scams (e-mail) I forwarded to my son and he forwardeds to the FBI. Even the phone calls I don't answer, they can leave me a message.

pjnesler 07-10-2014 12:11 PM

I appreciate you giving us all a heads up - I know I read about this stuff occasionally, but it's always a good reminder to try to stay safe!

My time 07-10-2014 07:46 PM

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It's amazing how clever these hackers have become.