Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bank of America Scam Alert Just Happened (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bank-america-scam-alert-just-happened-t249738.html)

IshtarsMom 07-08-2014 09:59 AM

Bank of America Scam Alert Just Happened

Within the last hour my husband went to get a one use credit card to pay the phone bill. A message came up that said the account was frozen for too many tries and gave a phone number to call...he called the phone number and after a very long wait someone came on and asked for account information and PASSWORD...he told them he wouldn't give it to them..he would call the number on the back of our card to make sure it was Bank of America...sure enough the phone number that appeared on the screen to call was not a legitimate Bank of America..so if this happens to you call the number on the back of your card...he did and they have now alerted their security and our account is working properly. Hate to think of the number of people getting scammed while he was on hold..Bank of America never asks for a password...

ptquilts 07-08-2014 10:53 AM

how did he get the message about the account being frozen?

IshtarsMom 07-08-2014 10:59 AM

He was on line at the Bank of America site requesting a one time credit card like we use all the time so we don't give out our credit card number. A message popped up on the screen saying too many attempts when he didn't have any attempts...said to call a number to unlock the credit card...after calling it and being suspicious after they asked for the password he called the credit card safe lock and they checked the number and found it wasn't a valid Bank of America phone number. So someone hacked their site and redirected requests to that phone number...if you give them your password they have access to your credit card...

ptquilts 07-08-2014 01:52 PM

your computer may be infected if you got re-directed when you tried to get on to your bank's website. I would get it checked out right away.

IshtarsMom 07-08-2014 02:55 PM

We were on the banks website, logged in...a hacker got into Bank of America's system.

ptquilts 07-08-2014 04:11 PM

so what happens now when you go to the bank website?

IshtarsMom 07-08-2014 08:03 PM

They had it straightened out in minutes and we were able to use it normally. We were able to give them the phone number of the hacker and their security jumped right on it...I hope they had the Feds knocking on their door quickly. I posted this so no one would get caught in this kind of thing in the future by trusting just because it was on their website didn't mean it was legit...Any message that says call a number should be written down and security number on back of card called. I'm assuming this is true of all banks but I don't know.

ptquilts 07-09-2014 02:20 AM

wow, that is scary!

DebbieJJ 07-09-2014 03:24 AM

Smart thinking on your DH's part! Way to go!

2manyhobbies 07-09-2014 03:33 AM

So scary. I get emails like that every now and then. I just trash them. The sad thing is the creeps prey on those who aren't as savvy as your husband (and me).