Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Beaver Dam, Wisconsin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/beaver-dam-wisconsin-t289659.html)

Sophie2 07-15-2017 02:54 AM

Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

Next week DH and I will be passing through Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. I am considering a stop at Nancy's Notions. I love her catalogs and TV shows. I am wondering if a top at her store in Beaver Dam is worth it.

DH is taking our route from FL to WI thru Paducah. He has heard of me talk of Paducah. We may not have a lot of time (I would like a couple days there, but that won't happen lol) so what are the "must" stops in Paducah?

Thanks.

ckcowl 07-15-2017 03:03 AM

Paducah is really a small town the quilt museum and the river walk are the two things to do. A couple hours at the museum. When we went it was in the 90*s and so humid it was hard to do much outside. We did stop at a couple small quilt shops in town. Quilt in a Day ( Elenor Burns) and Paper Pieces are both there. We spent about 6 hours total then headed for Mammoth Caves.

toverly 07-15-2017 03:35 AM

My two favorite places in Paducah are the Quilt Museum and Hancock's of Paducah. At the Quilt Museum, be sure to take the tour, they are really knowledgeable about the backgrounds of the quilts and it's terrific. Worth the wait for the next tour. At Hancocks, prepare your Visa and know what you are needing. They seem to have it all. What I went for were Neutral Batiks. That's what I have the hardest time finding. There is a great deli downtown close to the Quilt Museum.

bearisgray 07-15-2017 04:41 AM

Check the times for when the places are open.

I am pretty sure that Hancock's of Paducah is closed on Sundays and has shorter hours than most big box stores.

Sophie2 07-15-2017 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7864244)
Check the times for when the places are open.

I am pretty sure that Hancock's of Paducah is closed on Sundays and has shorter hours than most big box stores.

Thanks for the reminder on the hours. Hancock's website says they are open at 8:a.m. which my DH loves. I will call to confirm this before making my final plans.

Maggie_Sue 07-15-2017 10:21 AM

Yes be sure to stop at Nancy's Notions. Great staff and on occasion Nancy is there!!! Bonus!!!

Jingle 07-15-2017 04:08 PM

The only place my Daughter and I went was Hancock's bought a bunch of fabric, ate lunch. went back bought a bunch of fabric. They have lots of end cuts, remnants, whatever. About any kind of fabrics and colors you could ever imagine.

The employees are very helpful, fast and efficient. Most of all they are all very friendly and nice.

Neither of us needed any more fabrics. No way were we leaving without several hundreds of dollars worth of fabrics.

Sophie2 07-16-2017 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7864556)
The only place my Daughter and I went was Hancock's bought a bunch of fabric, ate lunch. went back bought a bunch of fabric. They have lots of end cuts, remnants, whatever. About any kind of fabrics and colors you could ever imagine.

The employees are very helpful, fast and efficient. Most of all they are all very friendly and nice.

Neither of us needed any more fabrics. No way were we leaving without several hundreds of dollars worth of fabrics.

Jingle, other than some backing fabric, I don't really need anything, but I have a feeling I will be coming out with more than just backing fabric. lol It is nice to hear that the staff is friendly and nice.

maviskw 07-16-2017 04:58 AM

I would for sure want to stop at Nancy's.

Wanabee Quiltin 07-16-2017 05:02 AM

Please stop at Hancocks of Paducah. It is right off the Interstate about 1/4 mile and you will find the best bargains in quilting plus see some beautiful quilts. Oh, forgot something: bring lots of money !