Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

Next week DH and I will be passing through Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. I am considering a stop at Nancy's Notions. I love her catalogs and TV shows. I am wondering if a top at her store in Beaver Dam is worth it.

DH is taking our route from FL to WI thru Paducah. He has heard of me talk of Paducah. We may not have a lot of time (I would like a couple days there, but that won't happen lol) so what are the "must" stops in Paducah?

Thanks.
    Sophie2

Blog Entries
    Paducah is really a small town the quilt museum and the river walk are the two things to do. A couple hours at the museum. When we went it was in the 90*s and so humid it was hard to do much outside. We did stop at a couple small quilt shops in town. Quilt in a Day ( Elenor Burns) and Paper Pieces are both there. We spent about 6 hours total then headed for Mammoth Caves.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

My two favorite places in Paducah are the Quilt Museum and Hancock's of Paducah. At the Quilt Museum, be sure to take the tour, they are really knowledgeable about the backgrounds of the quilts and it's terrific. Worth the wait for the next tour. At Hancocks, prepare your Visa and know what you are needing. They seem to have it all. What I went for were Neutral Batiks. That's what I have the hardest time finding. There is a great deli downtown close to the Quilt Museum.

Power Poster
    Check the times for when the places are open.

I am pretty sure that Hancock's of Paducah is closed on Sundays and has shorter hours than most big box stores.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Check the times for when the places are open.

I am pretty sure that Hancock's of Paducah is closed on Sundays and has shorter hours than most big box stores.
    Thanks for the reminder on the hours. Hancock's website says they are open at 8:a.m. which my DH loves. I will call to confirm this before making my final plans.
    Sophie2

Yes be sure to stop at Nancy's Notions. Great staff and on occasion Nancy is there!!! Bonus!!!

The only place my Daughter and I went was Hancock's bought a bunch of fabric, ate lunch. went back bought a bunch of fabric. They have lots of end cuts, remnants, whatever. About any kind of fabrics and colors you could ever imagine.

The employees are very helpful, fast and efficient. Most of all they are all very friendly and nice.

Neither of us needed any more fabrics. No way were we leaving without several hundreds of dollars worth of fabrics.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    The only place my Daughter and I went was Hancock's bought a bunch of fabric, ate lunch. went back bought a bunch of fabric. They have lots of end cuts, remnants, whatever. About any kind of fabrics and colors you could ever imagine.

The employees are very helpful, fast and efficient. Most of all they are all very friendly and nice.

Neither of us needed any more fabrics. No way were we leaving without several hundreds of dollars worth of fabrics.
    Jingle, other than some backing fabric, I don't really need anything, but I have a feeling I will be coming out with more than just backing fabric. lol It is nice to hear that the staff is friendly and nice.
    Sophie2

I would for sure want to stop at Nancy's.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Please stop at Hancocks of Paducah. It is right off the Interstate about 1/4 mile and you will find the best bargains in quilting plus see some beautiful quilts. Oh, forgot something: bring lots of money !

I went there (Nancy's Notions) in 1991. Loved it then and would go back if I was ever in that direction again.

I visit Nancy's a few times a year. It has lots of tools and fabric other than cotton but I always find quilting fabric there. I also go to their warehouse sale in May and Nancy has a huge display at the Sept. quilt show in Madison. (1 yard cuts of batiks for $5.99). Love the place, great service as well.

Yes, it is worth it I hope you stop you will enjoy it.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

I just got back from the Sister's Quilt Show in Oregon. My dh stopped at several shops along the way. Every shop had their own personality and was fun to see. Next time, though, I will be sure to have a couple of quilt ideas in mind. It makes it so much easier to look around and decide on something. Have fun on your journey and stop every where you dh will let you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
    I just got back from the Sister's Quilt Show in Oregon. My dh stopped at several shops along the way. Every shop had their own personality and was fun to see. Next time, though, I will be sure to have a couple of quilt ideas in mind. It makes it so much easier to look around and decide on something. Have fun on your journey and stop every where you dh will let you.

DH is good about stopping at quilt shops - usually at his insistence. Only problem is, sometimes he doesn't want to spend as much time as I do. At that time I just need to remind him how much time he spent at the Harley Davidson shop! The shop I like to go to the best had a liquor store next door and he would buy us a bottle of wine or two while I shopped. lol
    Sophie2