Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hoover Dam Tours

Hoover Dam Tours

We will be in Las Vegas in a week and would like to take a tour of the Hoover Dam. It is our first trip to Las Vegas and will feel like country come to town!!! Is it better to rent a car or take a professional tour out of Las Vegas? All suggestions will be appreciated!
    Sew much to do in sew little time!

We went in a rental car years ago, and it was incredible. Have a great time!

You might check with your hotel you are staying with to get any advice with tours. I use to go often to LV and we would walk down one side of the strip having lunch along the way and then took the bus back to the hotel. The next day, we would then walk the other side. There is really so much now a days to see.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    *** We did the bus tour and really enjoyed it.
    *** Driver gives you info. about the desert area & sightseeing areas.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

While I can't speak to this particular tour/idea, I can say that DH and I find a tour allows us to focus on scenery, points of interest
    and info provided by tour guide instead of watching the road, watching for a turn/street etc and thus we enjoy the trip more sometimes. I find this particularly applicable if we're in a very unfamiliar to us area.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Blog Entries
    Take the bus tour. That way you can sit back, relax and watch the scenery while the driver navigates the winding road.

We took the Hoover Dam tour last summer when on our way back home after taking a grandson on a trip to Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks for his high school graduation. Notice we are from the mountains of Colorado. The temperature was 109 degrees and my husband 'complained' about the temperature; the tour guide informed him that soon the temperature would be 130 degrees. We found the tour very interesting and well worth the time. We toured the rest of the town on our own and did a lot of walking. I think a bus tour would have been interesting but there were time constraints- we were on to St. George, Utah, to go to Superior Threads. Now, that was my favorite tour of the trip!

We stopped on our way home from Las Vegas a couple years ago. The tour was very impressive and well worth it. Fortunately you will be there at a time that temperatures likely won't be over 100. That's not too bad......

We have made the trip to Vegas several times. We rented a car and made a day trip of seeing the area. We went to the Dam and also made it to the Valley of Fire, and Red Rock Canyon. We spent the days just seeing all the sites we wanted to see. We did pick up a map of the area, and had no trouble getting around. Have fun.

You lucked out! We will be having a front coming thru and the temps will be gorgeous!! https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...+USNV0049:1:US
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    If you rent a car, make sure to go see Red Rock Canyon. It is gorgeous. Hope you have a really great time in our part of the country.
    JudyG

Blog Entries
    When we went to Vegas we rented a car to drive to the Hoover dam then paid for, took the guided tour inside the dam. It was a really good tour! One of the highlights of the trip.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Don't forget to see Death Valley. It is a beautiful place, however most of the super bloom of wild flowers is over. Lots of wild flowers still blooming at higher elevations.
    Stop by the Shoshone Museum, in Shoshone, CA. great little museum with lots of Death Valley information.

Ethel

Take the bus tour! Otherwise the one who is driving won't have a chance to enjoy the scenery.

Depends if you just want to go to the dam and back or hit other spots. Also the quad trip through the valley of fire is awesome...if you like quading. I went as part of my brothers bachelor trip years ago. If you do it, wear clothes you don't mind getting covered it red dust. Have fun!

Blog Entries
    We took a smaller bus tour 18 months ago when we toured Hoover Dam. Our pleasant driver gave us information about the area, people and economy that would have been missed completely had we rented a car. It was fun to sit back and actually see the sights without worrying about traffic and finding the correct streets when time was limited. We have many great memories and were able to actually spend time visiting with one another! Good Luck!

Living here in Las Vegas I would drive. But for a newbe the bus tour would be my recommendation. You will have more time to see what is out there and get a lot of good information along the way.
    Life is Great and then I have to go to WORK.
    Jarenie