Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Hoover Vacuum--Input requested >

Hoover Vacuum--Input requested

Hoover Vacuum--Input requested

Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 AM

Well, I have FINALLY convinced Todd we need another vacuum. The Dyson hasn't worked in months and I have to empty the Shark several times while using it which is a pain. I will probably buy a Hoover and wondered which model would be best. I have 4 cats which shed considerably and throw kitty litter all over teh tile floors. I would love for the vacuum to actually pick up the litter instead of just tossing it around the tile floors, which has been a problem in the past with some vacuums. Cleaning the edges of the room is also important.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Heather
Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

boy i'm waiting to hear on this one too. i have 3 cats!!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:10 AM

Hoovers are great! But Dysons are too! Is your Dyson clogged?
I don't have a recommendation on a Hoover model, but an idea for the cat box. I also have a cat that throws litter everywhere and I finally put down a commercial grade throw rug under the box and that has helped to contain most of the litter. It also helps a great deal with clean up! The rug is like like the ones that convenience stores use at their front doors and in front of their soda fountains. Cost an arm and a leg, but last forever.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 AM

I don't know about a hoover but I bought a Kirby. Yes the ones that come to your door. I have had it 11 years and still love it. its awesome. it has an attachment to it that takes up pet hair instantly. its great. they are expensive though but worth it in the long run. I also got my moms old oreck. its ok. I use it upstairs. but I got the small machine that you hang on your shoulder. Its perfect for the wood floors and around the cat litter. I love it and it was reasonable
Old 05-29-2011, 07:29 AM

another idea on the cat litter. I put the box in a bigger plastic box and it really cuts down on the mess
Old 05-29-2011, 08:27 AM

I too don't have any input on Hoover's. I like my Dyson. Did you have the Dyson for pets? They are really great. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:45 AM

I didn't want to spend alot of money on a new vacuum when my hoover died so I spent 112.00 on a Bissell. The one for people who have pets. It oesn't use bags. Just a container that snaps in and out. Best vacuum I have ever owned. I have 2 dogs and a cat and it picks up everything in it's path. If I had kept everything I have swept up with it, and crocheted all the hair I would have many many puppies.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:55 AM

My tom does that too, he has WAY too much fun with scattering litter around. Plus, he stands up and sprays towards the back of the litter pan, which nearly ruined the floor and wall before I caught it.
So now I have 3 huge, about 60 pound plastic dog food containers for the two cats' litter boxes. The openings are large enough for them to climb into, the tops have a slanted side that works nicely and works out to almost knee high. And it is impossible for them to scatter litter. I put a box in front of it on a rug, so they can climb in and have an old rug on it to catch any litter on their paws from "flushing the commode" in the box.

One box is always cleaned out and sitting in the sun, and every week or so I change one and then the other. Koko's is in the service porch and Freddy's is in my bathroom.

Lady-like Frederica likes hers sprayed with an air freshener now and then, but masculine Koko doesn't seem to care one way or the other.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:49 PM

I have a Hoover Wind Tunnel 6.1 It is the one that uses a bag and has hepa filters. (They also have a bagless one, but I've heard it isn't as good)

We bought it in 2000 and it has been a very good vacuum. It is quite good at picking up things near the baseboards. I use the wand attachment for bare floor cleaning.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried calling the Dyson 800 number? Maybe it is a simple fix.