Ice Dam

Old 04-03-2010, 02:56 AM

Default Ice Dam

Well, it finally happened. We had ice dam damage on the north side of the house and it leaked into the combination sewing/computer/tv/Christmas tree room and caused a bit of damage. It also ran down the wall and damaged the wallpaper, which I dearly love, have had it on the walls since 1983. Well, the adjuster said that this room would have to be redone, ceiling repaired (we have the popcorn ceiling, which I really like to keep cracks hidden. We have had the popcorn ceilings since 1972) and new wallpaper for this room. I was a tad bereft because we have an archway between the two rooms (living room and s/c/t/C room)and from one room to the next, it is the same wallpaper and it just flows really nice. The adjuster said she was going to see if she could get the insurance company to give us enough to paper the other room. Well, God Bless our insurance adjuster. She did! We got our check yesterday to fix the ceiling and re-wallpaper two rooms. God Bless our Homeowner's insurance company. God also bless the contractor who will do all the work and he said we could go anyplace we wanted to to find our wallpaper even though his company sells wallpaper along with the paint and stuff. I am so glad we can do both the rooms, but I am sure going to miss our wallpaper. My friend and I did it ourselves. Took two days - she says you have a good wallpaper if you can keep on looking at it and seeing something different. We have never gotten sick of it. We have white trim, the wallpaper is/was white background with teal colored vertical stripes and flower/vine design. (Just two colors) (matches the carpet) I always can see something different on it. 27 years! That is saying quite a bit for double rolls from Target (when they had wallpaper) at $5.00 a double roll. Can you believe it? Our contractor said that I should be able to find something for about $30 a double roll. In the multi-room or whatever you want to call it (the adjuster called it a sewing room because she, too, is a quilter), I have a million pictures hanging. They will all have to come down and rehung. (45 pictures!) The living room has 29 (that's counting a double shelf and antique wall clocks. I am really getting excited, but after this is all done my OAO says we get a new roof, as he says he doesn't want to go through this again! Actually, me either. This is going to be something else and for a 71 year old broad can you imagine what I am going to lose in this mess? My audio books, my fabric, my books, our pictures,, our knick-knacks,whatnots, bric-a-bac, nut nuts, you name it. It'll take me all summer to get back into gear again and I have this cancer quilt and a graduation quilt and two QFK's to get done. I'll have to cubbyhole into the basement I guess.

Well, that's about it! I just wanted to share a bit of news. Oh, our adjuster is a quilter, she likes crazy quilts and hand does everything. She is good!!!!! Edie
Old 04-03-2010, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

So sorry you got all the damage, and are going to lose your beloved wallpaper but at least you seem to have got a good deal with the insurance company. Just think, this time next year you will have two, great clean and tidy rooms and it will be well in the past.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:35 AM

So sorry for your mess. But you will love it in the end. That,s what you have to set your mind on. It is not going to be fun until you get to that end, for sure. Hugs.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:42 AM

When all is said and done you will have a brand new room and roof which means a safer place to live and peace of mind.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by SuzyM
When all is said and done you will have a brand new room and roof which means a safer place to live and peace of mind.
Yup, and it'll take care of both the Spring and Fall cleaning! Right? Edie
Old 04-03-2010, 03:55 AM

I'm glad you have a quilter on your side. :-D
Old 04-03-2010, 04:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your damage but at least it's covered by insurance. Hope your fixing goes smoothly.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

(((HUGS))) I am so glad that your insurance is covering evertything!!! Just think of how much you will enjoy your newly redecorated rooms when it is all done :D:D:D
Old 04-03-2010, 11:10 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your house damages.

Just a thought on the brighter side:

I have an idea that may work, if you still wanna to hang on to some of your favorite wallpaper. See if you or someone else can cut out a large piece of your wallpaper. Frame it and hang it up with all of your other frames on the wall. It may work ya'. You will never know until you try it! ;) That way you will have some of the same actual wallpaper to still admire! And new paper underneath to grow to admire.

DeeDee
Old 04-03-2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by NauDeeGal
I am so sorry to hear about your house damages.

Just a thought on the brighter side:

I have an idea that may work, if you still wanna to hang on to some of your favorite wallpaper. See if you or someone else can cut out a large piece of your wallpaper. Frame it and hang it up with all of your other frames on the wall. It may work ya'. You will never know until you try it! ;) That way you will have some of the same actual wallpaper to still admire! And new paper underneath to grow to admire.

You know, I have some of the original roll left and I am going to do that. Good idea!!! Just a little 3x5 or 5x7 frame will suffice. I will put it in my sewing area. I am going to try to find wallpaper the same color and vertical stripes.

Thanks again for your idea. Edie

DeeDee