Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Benefit basket ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/benefit-basket-ideas-t245829.html)

ragqueen03 04-26-2014 06:52 PM

Benefit basket ideas?

Not sure if this is the right section for this. I was asked today about a benefit poker run for a former classmate of mine who was injured in an accident. They are holding a poker run with an auction for various gift baskets. Any ideas of something easy and economical that I could maybe whip up on my sewing machine for this? I have lots of fabric between my house and my mothers. At first I thought of a set of pillow cases - maybe in a pittsburgh steeler theme since we are located smack dab in the middle between cleveland and pittsburg but there are some die hard steelers fans around here!

BETTY62 04-26-2014 07:58 PM

I think pillow cases with a Steeler theme would be awesome. Have you made any of the tube pillow cases? If not, check out the tutorial for these on the Missouri Star Quilt Company website. They are super easy to make and really look sharp.

Tartan 04-26-2014 08:48 PM

I have seen bags made that have slots for the bingo dabblers around a center container. They have draw strings fir closure. You could put new dabblers in the slots and wrapped candy in the bag?

TShooters 04-26-2014 09:01 PM

How about some cute mug rugs, coffee cups/mugs, and a bag of yummy coffee for two?

GEMRM 04-27-2014 06:27 AM

If the poker run is motorbike based, then bandanas, mug rugs, etc in biker themed fabric would also be welcomed?

ragqueen03 04-27-2014 06:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to try and find some Steeler fabric in my stash (I know it is in there somewhere but I also like the idea of mug rugs with coffee. I want something I can do fairly quick cuz my life is so hectic right now there isn't much time for sewing/quilting lately.

lclang 04-28-2014 04:25 AM

Mug rugs with coffee, creamer, sugar packets, bandannas, cups, maybe some packaged brownies or goodies to go with the coffee.

wraez 04-28-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by lclang (Post 6694453)
Mug rugs with coffee, creamer, sugar packets, bandannas, cups, maybe some packaged brownies or goodies to go with the coffee.

these are some of the same ideas that I had ... also bookmarks. Throw in some teas, chocolates, the little surprises that you like to find hiding in those baskets, cookies, ... check out your local .99 store you might get lucky there too

HUGE huge Steelers fans in my family, my hubby has his own Steelers man cave in the garage, LOL

CanoePam 04-28-2014 11:29 AM

I am assuming this poker run is for motorcycles and primarily male. I think a football theme is a great idea, but most guys I know won't go for tea and chocolates. What about Steeler do-rags for under their helmets? Add a neckerchief or two. Maybe a remote control caddy to put over a chair arm or a blanket/quilt with a football or motorcycle theme.

Zinda 04-28-2014 12:58 PM

A fleece quilt that's tied works up fast, easy and is always a hit.