Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Benefit basket ideas?

Blog Entries

Benefit basket ideas?

Not sure if this is the right section for this. I was asked today about a benefit poker run for a former classmate of mine who was injured in an accident. They are holding a poker run with an auction for various gift baskets. Any ideas of something easy and economical that I could maybe whip up on my sewing machine for this? I have lots of fabric between my house and my mothers. At first I thought of a set of pillow cases - maybe in a pittsburgh steeler theme since we are located smack dab in the middle between cleveland and pittsburg but there are some die hard steelers fans around here!

I think pillow cases with a Steeler theme would be awesome. Have you made any of the tube pillow cases? If not, check out the tutorial for these on the Missouri Star Quilt Company website. They are super easy to make and really look sharp.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Power Poster
    I have seen bags made that have slots for the bingo dabblers around a center container. They have draw strings fir closure. You could put new dabblers in the slots and wrapped candy in the bag?

How about some cute mug rugs, coffee cups/mugs, and a bag of yummy coffee for two?
    Count your life by smiles, not tears. Count your age by friends, not years.

"I, myself, am entirely made of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."

If the poker run is motorbike based, then bandanas, mug rugs, etc in biker themed fabric would also be welcomed?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to try and find some Steeler fabric in my stash (I know it is in there somewhere but I also like the idea of mug rugs with coffee. I want something I can do fairly quick cuz my life is so hectic right now there isn't much time for sewing/quilting lately.

Mug rugs with coffee, creamer, sugar packets, bandannas, cups, maybe some packaged brownies or goodies to go with the coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by lclang View Post
    Mug rugs with coffee, creamer, sugar packets, bandannas, cups, maybe some packaged brownies or goodies to go with the coffee.
    these are some of the same ideas that I had ... also bookmarks. Throw in some teas, chocolates, the little surprises that you like to find hiding in those baskets, cookies, ... check out your local .99 store you might get lucky there too

HUGE huge Steelers fans in my family, my hubby has his own Steelers man cave in the garage, LOL
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

I am assuming this poker run is for motorcycles and primarily male. I think a football theme is a great idea, but most guys I know won't go for tea and chocolates. What about Steeler do-rags for under their helmets? Add a neckerchief or two. Maybe a remote control caddy to put over a chair arm or a blanket/quilt with a football or motorcycle theme.

A fleece quilt that's tied works up fast, easy and is always a hit.

I have had great response from the baskets that I have made using 'gluten free' products. Included with these products, I make pot holders, a tablecloth or table topper. I also include a baking pan or two. I have repeated requests to make these for our church raffles.

How about the cloth baskets to put your things in, like the coffee items.

yel
    Blog Entries
    what about a fabric basket with pillow cases and a guy movie ...popcorn ........

yel
    Blog Entries
    just thought of another idea ......apron and pot holders with the steelers and a certificate for a steak,steak sauce .rubs . or maybe just some grill stuff ....