Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: framing wool applique

framing wool applique

I am seeking helpful tips for framing a small wool felt applique. I have a 5x7 piece and would like to frame it in an 8x10 wooden frame. I read that it is best to take out the glass. I haven't trimmed the piece yet, and don't plan any special edges (such as penny circles). I would like to use a piece of flannel as sort of a mat look. Now the questions. Should I simply place the piece on the flannel and top stitch by hand (possibly a running stitch) or machine the felt on the flannel? Or should I trim the piece and then sew on borders from the flannel (leaving flannel to wrap around to the back)? I suppose I could also place the piece on the flannel and then secure it with a few hidden stitches through the backing beneath the applique pieces. The 5x7 is a small "thank you" gift that I designed for a friend. It is a simple design, a small vase with a couple of daisies. The background wool felt is a creamy yellow and I purchased quilt shop flannel in a nice darker blue for the "mat."

I just though of one other alternative: covering an actual mat with the flannel. The frame came
    with a mat.

I'm probably making this too difficult. But I would like it to look nice. Thoughts, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by marymm View Post
    I just though of one other alternative: covering an actual mat with the flannel. The frame came
    with a mat.

I'm probably making this too difficult. But I would like it to look nice. Thoughts, anyone?
    This is what I was going to suggest.

Power Poster
    You can buy a shadow box frame that has distance between the appliqué and the glass. You could also use a regular frame if it has a thicker mat around the edge. The thicker matt should keep the appliqué from touching the glass. You could also use a regular frame but pile a couple of felt matts you cut yourself around the appliqué before putting it into the frame just make sure it isn't too thick to get the frame back on.

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of covering the background with flannel then top stitch or running stitch around your work to hold in place.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Thanks, everyone. I ended up buying a frame with an inset space to leave a small amount of room between the glass and the wool piece. I then covered the mat with the wool flannel. It looks nice---except I think I should have used a different colored background under the daisies. Next time, I'm going to try stitching around the piece to see how that looks.

A picture of the whole process, or a finished project picture would have been nice.??
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

finished project

Having troubles posting photo.. rectangle shadow on left is from my ipad... (I did add the glass. The frame is wood, but the inner brown is plastic and leaves about 1/4 inch between wool and glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oooh! Very pretty!
    sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Thanks, very simple and quick!