Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Bernina feet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/bernina-feet-t241473.html)

vanginney 02-18-2014 08:55 PM

Bernina feet

I recently purchased a bernina 550q and would like to purchase some additional feet. My LQS has the overlock foot for $17 but the invisible zipper foot is $60.

Wondered if anyone has purchased the low shank adapter - so they can use vintage singer feet? I have a gather, ruffler, hemmers, Id hate to have to repurchase - at the high rates.

That said, if the adapter is deficient, i will purchase bernina brand feet.

Anyone have opinions on this? Thanks in advance.

quilter1 02-19-2014 03:02 AM

You have a nice machine, I would buy the Bernina feet. I have always used Bernina feet on my 3 Bernina machines. How close are you to the border? Maybe a trip to the US is in order, or an online purchase.

mermaid 02-19-2014 03:37 AM

Yes, I have, and a large set of varied snap on feet that I did not. have. I do not have a Bernina, but it is doing fine on 2 other machines. You can get just the adaptor for screw on feet..but be sure it fits your shank.

jeanneb52 02-19-2014 06:49 AM

Go for it...my bernina is happy with the adapter! Bernina feet are a major rip off, IMHO. I've had several berninas and found the feet no better than my adapter and whatever feet I already had. Good luck

kellen46 02-19-2014 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52 (Post 6583915)
Go for it...my bernina is happy with the adapter! Bernina feet are a major rip off, IMHO. I've had several berninas and found the feet no better than my adapter and whatever feet I already had. Good luck

Right on, yes, high, low, snap on all work well with an adaptor. I have been sewing on Bernina for years and I have a Brother I use mainly for piecing. The adaptor means I can use feet interchangeably where needed. I especially like the little foot and use it on my Bernina with the adaptor very successfully.

Onebyone 02-19-2014 07:46 AM

I used an adapter on my Bernnia for a few feet. I found the Bernina feet at an estate sale and I could tell a big difference for the better in using the Bernina feet made for it especially the special task feet.

jarenie 02-19-2014 10:52 AM

OK! this is the first I have heard of an adapter for the Bernnia. I have a 440 Bernnia can any of you tell me where to get the adapter? I have done a google search with no results.

Onebyone 02-19-2014 12:02 PM

My Bernina is an older one and a guild member had an adapter and gave it to me. I've seen them on Ebay.

stillvnu 02-19-2014 12:20 PM

Watch craigslist and yard sales or flea markets for Bernina feet. I think they are worth it and I have found some at the places mentioned. Good luck!

gramquilter2 02-19-2014 01:58 PM

I would go with the Bernina feet and don't believe they are a rip off. Because a Bernina machine is a big investment I feel they need the feet made for them. You only have to buy the ones you need/want and to me they are worth it. I get 25% off all feet I purchase from the dealer I bought my machine from.